+ Reply to Thread

Default Antique gas machine

I own a 100-year-old home for which no expense was spared during construction. There are a number of interesting apparatus in the basement including 2 large water tanks (still half full of water), an electric water pump, a well-pump which I think was to have been powered by a gas engine outside, and most interesting of all, a "20 light combination gas machine" in tandem with a "30 light combination mixing regulator". Can anyone point to a reference for what function these served, and if anyone might appreciate having these in a restored Victorian house? I've attached a picture. Thanks -- Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antiqueequipment 006.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	3261  

Default Re: Antique gas machine

It was a device used to convert gasoline to gas to power lights .
    Check this out http://digital.library.cornell.edu/c...manu0022-9%3A1

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Antique gas machine

Egads! Until I saw the picture, I thought you were describing an acetylene gas generator; But they have a vertical orientation. And for sure JLM found a reference to the exact rig you have.
    If you decide to get it working again, let us know so we can monitor the scanner for when the firefighters respond.
    I guess it's no more dangerous than Coleman lamps, but 30 times the capacity for mayhem.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.