+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Wiring shed with 10-3 wire

Hi, I have 80 feet of 10-3 underground wire and would like need a light and an outlet in my shed that is 40 feet from my 200amp box. What is the simplest way to do this? (My level of experience is that I've run wiring for my Washer, Dryer, stove, microwave and bathroom.) Code wants me to buy a $15 permit and burry the cable 18" deep or 12" deep in conduit.

What breaker do I use in my box?
    Must I have a subpanel box in the shed?

Default Re: Wiring shed with 10-3 wire

sleeve it in pvc, then use a 2p 30a breaker to feed a sub panel (4 or 8 ckt)

Do I need to put a grounding rod into the ground at the shed?

no, if you are using 10/3 you have 2 hot's a neutral, and a ground. You are grounding this panel via the main panel

Yes, you will need a ground rod (I assume its detached from the house). Yes, you will need a sub panel. Also, if your running a dryer and washer you will need more than a 30A circuit. I would consider at least a 60A circuit especially at 80+ feet.

i believe the code states you dont need a sub panel if your only running two circuits, which you have, if you dont want to spring for one. also no ground rod if you keep it this way.

If your a lecky you'd know the answer,if your not then I would recommend you leave well alone,as there are many factors to take into consideration.