+ Reply to Thread

Question drywall repair after wallpaper removal

I am going to post this under a couple different "Subject" lines as to cover all readers.
    I am in the process of removing the wallpaper in our bathroom. Aparently someone did this once before and re-papered to cover up their careless mistakes. I have already uncovered several spots where previous removal had tore into the paper coating over the drywall.
    I do not want to go through the expense of buying and installing new wallpaper. I simply want to paint the walls.
    Can I skim-coat some, say, 90 minute readymix over these areas ? if so, I need to know the proper procedure so it lasts and looks good after I paint. Should I cut the paper dow to the drywall and peel it off or, just sand these areas down ? Suggestions, Please.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: drywall repair after wallpaper removal

Rich, we just finished redoing this in our master bedroom. It had 40 years of wallpaper on the walls, about 5 layers thick, with lots of cracks and peeling sections. What an eyesore. So we did it right. We pulled off all the loose paper, then began on one end of the room and soaked the remaining paper by spraying with plain warm water in spray bottles. The trick is to wet the paper enough to remove it without destroying the sheetrock underneath. It was a huge mess, but after the cleanup, we allowed the walls to dry thoroughly. Then I applied wall compound with 6 and 12 inch trowels, smoothing out all the ridges. When dry, we sanded lightly, and then wiped down the walls. I then applied 2 coats of Sherwin Williams latex primer, followed by 2 coats of Benjamin Moore interior latex paint. Their new colors are simply amazing. It now looks like something out of a fashion magazine. It took us about 2 weeks from start to finish, a bathroom should take you less than a week. But it's worth it.

Question Re: drywall repair after wallpaper removal

Zadie, first, thanks for your reply. These are about the steps I have considered taking. Now, I will ask, ... picking quotes from your post ...
    "We pulled off all the loose paper, then began on one end of the room and soaked the remaining paper by spraying with plain warm water in spray bottles. The trick is to wet the paper enough to remove it without destroying the sheetrock underneath." ... I am accomplishing this, first using a "Paper Tiger" to perforate the paper. And then soaking in sections, ... first with "DIF" gel in a spray bottle and then resoaking with hot water. I am then going back and rubbing the section down with a wet rag to assist the compound into all the holes the tiger made. I am then waiting 15 to 20 minutes to pull the paper. Then going back and resoaking and scraping off the glue residue several times until I get a clean surface. Most of the spots appear to be where the drywall was not "wiped down" before the primer was applied and the paint has "popped " down to the bare drywall. This house was built under "HUD" regulations back in 1971 so, it does not surprise me that things got done in a hurry or, sub-standard. Then leaving it to dry out.
    " Then I applied wall compound with 6 and 12 inch trowels" ... what, specificly did you use as "'wall compound" ?
    "I then applied 2 coats of Sherwin Williams latex primer, followed by 2 coats of Benjamin Moore interior latex paint." If I may ask, why, 2 coats of primer ?
    I am not finished yet but am at a point where the cabinets and toilet have to come out to finish up.