+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas dryer

Default Gas dryer

I received a gas dryer from a friend, took it home installed it, now it does not work. i am a total beginner when it comes to dryers so here me out. The gas is hooked and flowing, electric is working, drum rotates but there is not heat. From research I gather it can be a number of things, looking for a starting point that can guide me down the path to discover the problem and if it is worth just buying a new/used one.

Appreciate any help.

Default Re: Gas dryer

One last thing, I have been trying to find a manual on a Kenmore Series 70 (model # 110.72722101) gas dryer with no luck. Does anyone know where I can find one for free if possible?

Go to Google and enter:

Kenmore Series 70 manual

Click on the first item that shows up. It is not a manual, but does describe how to go about getting one. I tried to post the link here, but TOH blocks that address.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Was the dryer working before you got it?

Are you sure the drum is turning --- not assuming because you hear the motor running ?

Then post back for some more troubleshooting.

Btw --- model # 110 .xxxxxxxxx is made by Whirlpool if I'm not mistaken.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The drum does spin, i beleive it was in storaqge before I got it. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned what I could. It turns on and tumbles the clothes, we use it to fluff the clothes after we hang them outside. I see three what I beleive are sensors, I cleaned them off and nothing so far. The model # is correct.

Here's some things to check .....

# 1 --- On many dryers, there's a thermal fuse (a heat-sensitive fuse that blows if the dryer overheats) mounted to the exhaust duct inside the back cover panel. The fuse is about an inch long. If the fuse has blown, it has no continuity. When this happens, your dryer stops heating. As a quick test . jumper the 2 wires to see if the dryer works. **** NOTE **** --- this is just for testing --- If it's the problem don't leave it this way since it's a saftery device ---- replace it.

# 2 --- Gas dryers use an electric igniter to ignite the gas from the gas valve. When it's working properly, the igniter glows bright orange. When it burns out, the dryer tumbles but there's no heat because the gas can't ignite. When the igniter burns out, you need to replace it --- first check to see if there is voltage being supplied to the ignitor before replacing.
    If there is no voltage being supplied then it could be the timer. Also, check to see if there is a switch ( 2 wires attached to a lever switch ) at the drum belt tensioner. If so , this is a safety interlock to prevent the burner firing in case the drum belt breaks. Check the wire connections and continuity of the switch.

You might be able to see if it glows by removing the bottom kick panel.
    Watch the igniter. Does it glow bright orange, then shut off without igniting the gas?
    If so, there may be defective coils on the gas valve or a flame sensor.
    The flame sensor detects heat from the ignitor and supplies voltage to the coils.
    Mounted on the top of modern gas valves, there are black electrical coils. The coils, when energized, open the gas valve. If one or more of the coils are defective, the valve doesn't open and the gas cannot ignite. Because it's difficult to properly test the coils, it's usually best to replace both (all) of them at the same time.
    Once the valve opens and fires the flame sensor also detects the flame and keeps the coils energized.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush