+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need 2 know today Vertical blinds--go bel;ow the window sill and molding or above

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It looks to me like you've already got them mounted to the inside, so I'd personally leave them there. you don't have much room between the window and the wall surface, which makes the blind protrude a bit and look unruly, which is why I don't like surface or outer mounted blinds. If this was my window, I'd keep the blinds inside and add a valance of some sort over the top of the window to hide the top of the blind. There are many premade valances to choose from, or if you're handy with a sewing machine you can make your own. In my last house I built 12" wooden frames, then had a padded valance made to fit them, the results were great. It's hard to make out in this image, but you can see what I'm talking about. If I can find a better picture I will post it.
    >>>>

Great job with the window!!!I can use this idea for other windows in the house.

Maybe i didnt explain it well. the venetian blinds ( that are in the pics) will be taken off and instead vertical blind will be put up! putting the vertical blinds outside or inside is the question. If outside mount, will they look as if they are hanging in air!!! Do i take them to the floor ( which is very costly)

Thanks any way for your prompt reply!!!!

Default Re: Need 2 know today Vertical blinds--go bel;ow the window sill and molding or above

You're right, I missed that you were doing vertical blinds, sorry. Verticals look best when hung outside of the window opening. Whether they go past the sill or not would depend on two things, your personal preference and how far off the wall the verticals hang in their brackets. If they're flat to the wall, then they won't hang and operate properly if longer than the sill because the sill generally sticks out past the opening. I've seen them at sill length, just below, and all the way to the floor. They all looked good to me.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i would take them wider then the window opening valance and head rail overing the top trim with the head rail above the window opening but the bottom just at the height of the window stool. this way you can get as close as you can to the face of the trim when closed but overlap all but the window stool and leave a minimum space between the window-wall-trim and the blinds when in the closed position. taking to the floor or close is not practical with baseboard heat and will cause the blinds to be offset from the wall greatly and the currents of warm air will cause to move and cool air to convection waft downwards.

having the rail extend wider then the window from left to right will allow maximum opening and the vertical blinds to rest against the wall and expose maximum glass-light when you open and retract the blinds. if you want to dress up the area you can use a soft treatment fabric for the valance instead of the standard blinds topper and drop fabric panels on either side to frame the opening and hide the blinds behind when they are fully retracted.

Inside the window box (not my preference for vertical) plus you end up with a halo around the blinds in direct sun.

Outside to the floor to me looks bad if the window see direct sun light.

Outside to below trim to me has the cleanest look for verticals.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The blinds are going up wed.I have gone with the outside mount, Will post the end product!!!! Thanks for everyones feedback!!!!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Need 2 know today Vertical blinds--go bel;ow the window sill and molding or above

Here is the final results...I am so happy with it.....thanks for all of your feedback too!!!

Looks good, congrats on your new blinds and thank you for posting back your results.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ditto on Spruce's post. Best of luck to you.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb