+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roofing

Default Re: Roofing

Howdy the pictures helped. Looking at the roof line at the edge it appears you have a failed roof decking at the overhang( soffit, eve)the area that is bowing down. it is likely a rotten area in the roof decking , plywood, . It also looks like another layer of roofing was installed on top of the existing layer and not a cold roof installed on top of the old roofing. Is the new roofing rolled roofing? Or is it modified Bitumen?
    With the problem along the edge of the roof not addressed i would recommend you have this area of shingles removed and repair the decking an if this is the north exposure then have the roofer install ice and water shield at least 36" up slope past the outside wall of the house. Ice & water guard is made to stop ice dams from having water run back under shingles an into the roof decking and into the home. So from the bottom edge about 4' up the slope.
    When the roof is opened you may need to cripple a rafter tail and replace some of the facia board too.

Good question. Roofing is a project that can be difficult to conquer without a good plan. A great resouce for roofing information is eContractorBids.com They provide a lot of information about roofing and other construction projects to help you get yours done. Here is a link to the roofing section of their site:

http://www.econtractorbids.com/natio...urces/roofing/

Good luck with your project

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrfree View Post
    There are soffit vents and a ridge vent and a vent in the gable end. All in the new roof.

The old roof has a few areas where some boards have been removed.
    Ah --- pictures --- now it makes sense.
    I can see why the new roof --. but --- the old should have been removed. That's a lot of weight on the structure and foundation.

Sounds like there's considerable heat loss along the eve line --- lack of insulation in the attic along the tops of the exterior walls.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Ah --- pictures --- now it makes sense.
    I can see why the new roof --. but --- the old should have been removed. That's a lot of weight on the structure and foundation.

Sounds like there's considerable heat loss along the eve line --- lack of insulation in the attic along the tops of the exterior walls.
    Yes I do need more insulation which I am working on from my ceilings. The contractor put some insulation on the top of the old roof. I'm just not sure if I should be doing both.
    As you can see in the pics, that entire old roof is still below the new one, shingles and all!!!!

I was up there and took off some of the shingles, but I have know clue what I'm doing as you can tell.