+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roofing

Default Roofing

Good or Bad. New roof over old roof?

Default Re: Roofing

Howdy it depends on what type of roofing and code s in you area. If you have one layer of comp shingles and code allows a second layer and the currant material is laying flat with at least a 3/12 pitch. Not leaking. Then overlaying the roof is an acceptable repair. If the damaged to the roof is covered by insurance then tear off and install new felt and new shingles is better.... one claims adjusters opinion.

Depends ...

What the old roof and what are you putting over it? Most jurisdictions will allow two layers, again, depending on the type.

You will get the best look and longest wear out of a single layer roof. Stripping the old will allow you to address any hidden dryrot or other problems that may be present.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As far as I'm concerned, roof-overs should not be allowed under any circumstances.JMHO
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Cool Re: Roofing

Recap,
    Ok I had a new roof put on my very old house. It is a 8/12 pitch.
    The person that did it built rafters OVER the old roof.
    Now I am having problems with Ice (not like we all don't around here) But ALOT of it.
    I was just up there tearing off the old shingles off of the old roof. It is very warm up there and it I believe should be at the same Temp as aoutside which is around 40 it is like 60 (at lea felt like it) above the old roof.
    Should the old roof been removed?
    HELP!!!!!:

Howdy so you have the roof re roofed is the old roof vented and does that venting then get vented out the new roof?
    Is the ice on the north slope? and is it between roofs or on top of the new roof t word the bottom of the slope?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrfree View Post
    Recap,
    Ok I had a new roof put on my very old house. It is a 8/12 pitch.
    The person that did it built rafters OVER the old roof.
    Now I am having problems with Ice (not like we all don't around here) But ALOT of it.
    I was just up there tearing off the old shingles off of the old roof. It is very warm up there and it I believe should be at the same Temp as aoutside which is around 40 it is like 60 (at lea felt like it) above the old roof.
    Should the old roof been removed?
    HELP!!!!!:
    It's not clear as to why another roof was placed overtop of the old one. Timothy Miller raised a good point, is the old roof vented into the space between and is there venting in place in the new roof?
    Even so, it sounds as though there is considerable heat getting into the attic which needs to be addressed. If that's the case sounds as though air sealing and increased insulation done in the attic is also needed. Removing the old shingles won't help other than reducing the weight on the roof, which is a good thing.
    If I were to place another roof covering over the old I would have laid sheets of foam down on the old roof surface, after removing the old shingles first mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy so you have the roof re roofed is the old roof vented and does that venting then get vented out the new roof?
    Is the ice on the north slope? and is it between roofs or on top of the new roof t word the bottom of the slope?
    There are some hole in the old roof but I do believe that the outside air is getting trapped between the old roof and my ceiling. It is not getting to the new roof.
    Yes , my ice is on the north side and on the new roof towards the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrfree View Post
    There are some hole in the old roof but I do believe that the outside air is getting trapped between the old roof and my ceiling. It is not getting to the new roof.
    Not quite following this.
    There are holes ( vents ? ) in the old roof. Are the soffit vents open into the attic ?

Are there soffit and roof vents in the new roof ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Not quite following this.
    There are holes ( vents ? ) in the old roof. Are the soffit vents open into the attic ?

Are there soffit and roof vents in the new roof ?
    There are soffit vents and a ridge vent and a vent in the gable end. All in the new roof.

The old roof has a few areas where some boards have been removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_0405me0028.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	3265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0910130057.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	3266