+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Underground Bees Nest

I have a Yellow Jackets nest on the slope side of my property that is underground....how do I go about attacking this ??

Default Re: Underground Bees Nest

Easy! Pour about 1/4 cup of gasoline down the hole at night when they're all in there sleeping. You don't need a lot because it's the fumes that gets them, not the liquid fuel. I usually crush the entrance closed afterwards just for good measure. No more yellowjackets!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce, where did you learn that? LOL

I did the same thing except I light them up... I must've watch American Chopper too often....
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

The slope is actually a 90 degree drop....can't pour Gas down the hole.....but can pour Gas over the area on the slope....think that'll do it ???.....this is right under the bedroom window, how long will the odor linger ???

Gasoline odor will linger around for couple days.

I didn't know you have 90 degrees slope. I don't have solution for that. I don't think pouring gasoline or approve chemicals down the slope will do the trick. The ground will absorb the liquids.

Wasp & hornet spray ??? Shoot lots into hole and plug quickly. ???

Did this for a nest straight up inside a hollowed out tree trunk, plugging hole with some Great Stuff ...at the ready in the other hand. End of problem.

This was an after-dark excursion, of course. My mama didn't raise no idiot.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-07-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Down here we have " yellow jackets " that nest underground and are VERY aggressive . I attacked a nest with a large bucket of
    soapy water . Use a dishwashing detergent and mix it up kinda thick . If you douse them with this solution , those that aren't suffocated will be unable to fly . You can deal with them at that point .

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Belly View Post
    The slope is actually a 90 degree drop....can't pour Gas down the hole.....but can pour Gas over the area on the slope....think that'll do it ???.....this is right under the bedroom window, how long will the odor linger ???
    Where there is a will, there is a way. Don't free pour gasoline anywhere but down the hole. If you can't do that, maybe find a goose neck funnel to jamb in the hole while a helper pours the gas.

Don't light the gas on fire - too dangerous, even for us rednecks!

****ie's suggestion of using wasp spray would do the trick as well. Just make sure it's wasp spray because anything else is just going to piss them off. I was working on a flood light on a patio once and found myself in the midst of a nest when I opened the fixture. Not having wasp spray in my truck, I opted for the ant and roach spray ... Can you say "seriously pissed off bees"? It took vacating the area with extreme haste, then persuading them to go elsewhere with the garden hose. From that point on I always made sure I had a can of wasp spray in the truck! LOL

djohn's soap suggestion works well and is less toxic than any other method discussed so far. You will have to be much more cautious because the crawlers, while slower moving do still have stingers, biters, and legs intact and will crawl into places - like a pants leg without being detected until it's too late.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There is another tip. You guys may not believe it but it does work very well.

Steal, borrow or buy hair spray. [ I wouldn't buy and walk out the store with feminie hair spray]

Anyway, hair spray actually do work, their wings do stop flapping and fall to the ground. It'll look comical to see bees buzzing along then drop like a brick.

I usually keep hair spray hidden out of sight inside my truck. I couldn't let the guys laughing at me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    I usually keep hair spray hidden out of sight inside my truck. I couldn't let the guys laughing at me.
    It burns better anyway ... Not that I'd know that or anything ...