+ Reply to Thread

Default Pipe assy under kitchen sink

A black pipe from garbage disposal reaches down to white horizontal pipe. At connection, black pipe fits inside white pipe and there is a plastic nut to tighten. I see a plastic washer -- too small to push up black pipe but if instead I rest the washer on the white pipe, when I try to tighten large plastic nut, pipe connection isn't sealed. Please tell me what this connection should look like in order to make water tight. Thank you.

Default Re: Pipe assy under kitchen sink

The neck of the disposal pipe should go inside of both the washer and the mating piece of pipe. If the washer isn't going onto the pipe, then it's either too small or it's gotten too hard to stretch or expand. Replace the washer with one that will fit the pipe. I'm suspecting that part of your problem is that you've got the wrong washer. When you go to purchase a replacement washer, look for the pieces of pipe you're working with. They should come with washers, match your replacement to what's in the package. Washers can be purchased separately.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The washer should fit on the pipe, it will be tight. Sounds like you may have a 1-1/4" washer for a 1-1/2" pipe if it won't fit.

typed too slow...I see Spruce beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    typed too slow...I see Spruce beat me to it...
    You're getting old my friend.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!