+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold house

Default Cold house

One day after dusting the house has dust all over it. I change the filter every month. We get dust on the walls? Any suggestions? Next the heat. We have tried everything here. We keep our thermostat at 70, which is located in the dining room. No other room in the house will get to 70? I have one bedroom has register 59 in the middle of the night. All rooms feel a cool. I had a company come in and do a blow test. The only thing they really found was my baseboard needed to be sealed because that is where cold air was coming in. I did that but nothing really changed. They also recommended putting some cellulose installation in the attic blown in. This company also brought a person deals in ducts. The new duct work was complete with 7 new dampers and a new bigger return to take the capacity of the house. Going into the first night and the rooms are still cold. Can anyone help with the heat and dust

Default Re: Cold house

First off we need more info, is your furnace sized correctly to heat your house, are your windows and doors drafty, does your house have enough insulation. Most important is the location of your thermostat, it should be near a return (within 3-4 feet) and not a supply. If it's near a supply the warm air will satisfy the stat before your home is heated to the wanted temp. Did they open the dampers or are they closed, feel in front of the register and see if there is enough warm air if any coming from it. Are your ducts sealed and insulated, you will lose some heat if not but I don't see it making an 11 degree diff., then again anything is possible. As for the dust, make sure you slide the filter all the way in, that much dust after one day pretty strange.
    Last edited by Sten; 03-04-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by rmgov22 View Post
    One day after dusting the house has dust all over it. I change the filter every month. We get dust on the walls? Any suggestions? Next the heat. We have tried everything here. We keep our thermostat at 70, which is located in the dining room. No other room in the house will get to 70? I have one bedroom has register 59 in the middle of the night. All rooms feel a cool. I had a company come in and do a blow test. The only thing they really found was my baseboard needed to be sealed because that is where cold air was coming in. I did that but nothing really changed. They also recommended putting some cellulose installation in the attic blown in. This company also brought a person deals in ducts. The new duct work was complete with 7 new dampers and a new bigger return to take the capacity of the house. Going into the first night and the rooms are still cold. Can anyone help with the heat and dust
    How large is the home? How large is the furnace (output)? How is the ductwork run? Basement, slab, crawl space or attic? If they changed ALL of the ductwork, the original system must have been something!

Are the ducts run in unconditioned spaces? Like attic, crawlspace? If so, are they insulated and sealed?

If the return air is in a centrally-located place, does each room have an unrestricted path for its supply air to find its way back to the return? Even with the doors closed?

When they enlarged the return air, did they actually enlarge its pathway all the way back to the furnace? Or did they just enlarge the grille?

What is the temperature of the suppply air as it leaves the furnace? What is the temp of the supply air at the various supply registers?

What is the static pressure of the system? (This is a measurement of how much resistance is created by the duct system that the blower must overcome to deliver air.)

A competent service tech will check all these things and more, and will not start installing parts or doing any work until he actually pinpoints the problem(s). He should also have a flow hood to measure the actual CFM at each register.