+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

I've have several places where the studs and floor joists are just 3-4" apart and need to have wiring run in the cavity. The challenge is how to staple the cable in this space. Does anyone know if there is a special staple for tight spaces? Or any other tricks for securing the cable in these spaces?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Default Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

Here's one way. Your home center/hardware store should also have some cable stackers that can be nailed on at an angle from the front.

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYc...mCbleSpprt.asp

Quote Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
    I've have several places where the studs and floor joists are just 3-4" apart and need to have wiring run in the cavity. The challenge is how to staple the cable in this space. Does anyone know if there is a special staple for tight spaces? Or any other tricks for securing the cable in these spaces?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    go to grainger item# 1XFC3 http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...&L1=Electrical
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grainger anchor.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	1586  
    Last edited by Infraredsurvey.com; 09-07-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infraredsurvey.com View Post
    Can an individual buy from Grainger without a business license and commercial account? Just curious.

You can use a regular staple and hammer it with lineman pliers or the side of the hammer. Be careful not to hit the cable. I have had to do the same between a door and a stud for a switch.
    Last edited by college student; 09-07-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by college student View Post
    You can use a regular staple and hammer it with lineman pliers or the side of the hammer. Be careful not to hit the cable. I have had to do the same between a door and a stud for a switch.
    That is precisely one of my situations.

i couldn't get grainger to do a retail without a tax exempt certificate or a buisness ID number.

its greenlee upc number 12201 (25 CA1's in a package) and you can get it or order it from electrical supply or retailer.

holds four 10-2wG NM, four 12-2 w/G NM, 8 14-2 w/G NM*, or four 14-3 w/G NM. didn't use for NM we used for cat cables got from computer supply.

this is the greenlee catalog page:

http://www.mygreenlee.com/Products/m...00&Submit=Find

find a greenlee distributor near you: http://www.greenlee.com/wheretobuy.shtml

alternative might be to staple on the other side of the stud where you have room dont think they have to be secured every stud.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 09-07-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: fixed greenlee links

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Can an individual buy from Grainger without a business license and commercial account? Just curious.
    I don't know about ****** purchases, but anyone can buy at the local store, no restriction. I've always found Grainger to be a more expensive outlet for things that are fairly readily available through more convenient channels.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I don't know about ****** purchases, but anyone can buy at the local store, no restriction. I've always found Grainger to be a more expensive outlet for things that are fairly readily available through more convenient channels.
    if you have farm bureau insurance you get a discount there which does help offset their higher prices

There are several options out there if space prevents a regular romex staple. Many low voltage cable organizers(for studspace) are able to be used with medium voltage cable/romex. This is one example that has worked well. 3M Cable Stacker SI-1
    You might have to go to an electrical ditributor.