+ Reply to Thread

Question tiny leak around water pipe in basement - sump pump needed?

I just had a basement guy come in to give me an estimate for the leak I have in my basement. It's a trickle of water coming from the foundation around a main water pipe in my basement. I'm pretty sure it's not from the pipe because I had a decent amount of water at first when I found it after heavy rain and since the rain stopped and snow has melted the tickle is much less.

The guy told me he could patch the hole for $700 but it would be likely to leak again. He said he would put in a sump pump for that area for $2000. Is that a reasonable price? Is a sump pump even necessary?

I've also been reading about people fixing foundation cracks with hydraulic cement. If the crack goes all the way through to the outside (I'm assuming that's how the water gets in), then how does a patch on the inside keep water from getting halfway in and sitting there?

I need some advice on whether to have the professional do the patch, do the sump pump, or try to DIY. I'd like to save money if possible, we just moved into this house 3 months ago. The basement walls do have some pitting, so I guess water has been an issue in the past- but they are not damp and there's no evidence of water coming in anywhere besides that crack. The house is also on the older side, built in 1941.

I should also note that the gutters are clogged with leaves. By the time we moved in it was almost winter (the previous owners decided to leave all the leaves for us). We didn't get the gutter cleaned in time and then I assumed they couldn't be cleaned in winter because the water in them was probably frozen. I'm sure that's not helping our problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5465.jpg 
Views:	6815 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	3243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5460.jpg 
Views:	6195 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	3244  
    Last edited by mikazuki81; 03-03-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Default Re: tiny leak around water pipe in basement - sump pump needed?

Personally I don't think you need a sump pit and pump since this is a localized leak and somewhat easily repaired.

Using hydraulic cement on the inside really won't resolve the issue for long or at all.
    The thing here is the water pipe and the concrete will expand and contract at different rates. Trying to patch the leak with hydraulic cement will eventually fail because of the expansion and contraction differences.

To be honest the best fix for this ---- from the outside dig down to the footing around the water line. Have a company come out to inject an epoxy from both the exterior and interior around the pipe.
    Have a water proof material along with a drain membrane applied to the area outside and back fill.---- that should resolve the issue.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush