+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with electrical 3 way

I am in the process of adding a ceiling fan light in our home office. The electrical that was in place was two 3 way switches contolling 3 outlets (bottom outlets only). The top outlets are always hot. The incoming voltage is at one three way switch box. That switch has two reds and one white or common hooked up to it.
    A 3 wire cable runs from one switch to the other switch across the room through our ceiling. Fortunately we have a small attic and I was able to get to it. This switch was end of run since it only had the 3 wire cable coming into it. Red white and black were connected.
    I then installed a ceiling fixture, cut the cable and ran it through the fixture. This is where I'm stuck and could use some help on how to hook up the fan/light. I was planning on having the switches control the light and the fan controlled by the pull string.
    When I did a mutimeter check, the black cable at the ceiling fixture from the incoming side measures 110V no matter which condition the wall switch is. The other switch is still not connected and doesn't have voltage.

Default Re: Help with electrical 3 way

Quote Originally Posted by cwdonihi View Post
    I am in the process of adding a ceiling fan light in our home office. The electrical that was in place was two 3 way switches contolling 3 outlets (bottom outlets only). The top outlets are always hot. The incoming voltage is at one three way switch box. That switch has two reds and one white or common hooked up to it.
    A 3 wire cable runs from one switch to the other switch across the room through our ceiling. Fortunately we have a small attic and I was able to get to it. This switch was end of run since it only had the 3 wire cable coming into it. Red white and black were connected.
    I then installed a ceiling fixture, cut the cable and ran it through the fixture. This is where I'm stuck and could use some help on how to hook up the fan/light. I was planning on having the switches control the light and the fan controlled by the pull string.
    When I did a mutimeter check, the black cable at the ceiling fixture from the incoming side measures 110V no matter which condition the wall switch is. The other switch is still not connected and doesn't have voltage.
    what you described will never allow the fan or light to work you have no neutral....you have a hot wire and two travelers. I suggest you re-splice the wire the way it was in a box. You need a wire from the switch that has neutrals present.
    Harry