+ Reply to Thread

Thread: toilet problem

Default toilet problem

Lately I have been hearing a gurgling noise coming from the toilet bowl and can also see bubbles coming from the bowl. This happens mainly when either the kitchen sink is draining or the washing machine is working and draining. The toilet water level in the bowl will start to go down and if it is flushed the water will rise and almost overflow. After I use the plunger the water level goes down very slowly. After a period of time the water returns to its proper level and the toilet will flush with no problems time after time if the kitchen sink or washer are not going. Is there anything that can be done before a plumber has to be called out? I'm a DIY kind of guy but this has me baffled.

Default Re: toilet problem

Quote Originally Posted by alfonso51 View Post
    Lately I have been hearing a gurgling noise coming from the toilet bowl and can also see bubbles coming from the bowl. This happens mainly when either the kitchen sink is draining or the washing machine is working and draining. The toilet water level in the bowl will start to go down and if it is flushed the water will rise and almost overflow. After I use the plunger the water level goes down very slowly. After a period of time the water returns to its proper level and the toilet will flush with no problems time after time if the kitchen sink or washer are not going. Is there anything that can be done before a plumber has to be called out? I'm a DIY kind of guy but this has me baffled.
    Typically the description of the toilet flush drain issue would indicate a blockage.

Now add the symptom of the bubbling could be attributed to a venting issue but can also be a blockage.

It's hard to see things from here and depends where the kitchen and laundry drains are in the system --- upstream or down stream.
    I would suspect if there is a garbage disposal combined with the draining from the washing machine, these may be causing a blockage at a connection where they join the 3 inch line near the toilet.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush