+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb hardwood front porch sealer

I was wanting to put a polyurethane clear coat(for durability) on the reclaimed oak that I am redoing the porch with. Spar/Urethane is not for foot traffic, regular polyurethane is not for outdoors. Everything I have found does not fulfill what I wanted. Is there a product out there that is clear, durable, and for outdoor use on wood? Or should I just use a water sealer like Behr or Thompsons?

Default Re: hardwood front porch sealer

Horizontal surfaces with foot traffic is very difficult to coat and be durable.
    Also any type of varnish or urathane would be slippery when wet.
    I would probably consider a different wood more resistant to the outdoor elements rather than using the Oak.
    Perhaps cedar , Ipe , mahogany , teak or even the engineered decking would stand up much better with less maintenance than using the oak.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If you are tied to using your reclaimed oak, a good quality wood sealer would be your best bet. A coating product, like spar, would be too slippery. If the porch is under cover, and you apply the sealer at the prescribed interval, it should give you adequate protection.

The sad truth is, there is no clear sealer for exterior decking that holds up longer than two years; Whatever you end up with is going to be high-maintenance. I would suggest the Australian wood oil, or exterior Waterlox.
    I hope it is white oak, because if it's red oak you're really wasting your time, it's going to rot out in short order.
    If the flooring is not yet installed, I would recommend dipping it in whichever finish you choose before installing it, thereby sealing every surface.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I found this stuff while I was looking ****** for something else:

Penofin Hardwood Forumla http://www.penofin.com/products_exotichardwood.shtml

Maybe that'll help you out. Looks like it's a penetrating oil that won't need to be stripped just periodically reapplied.