+ Reply to Thread

Default Tile Ceiling Technique

What is the best way to butter up a tile to stick to the ceiling. I've read some posts ****** about backbuttering the tile and making sure it sucks up to the ceiling. I've read some other posts about putting 5 dots of thinset on the back of the tiles. I am currently thinking over putting a thin coat of thinset on the ceiling then back buttering each tile... Is this sound OK, or is there a better way?

I have LATICRETE Multipurpose thinset for the walls. Is this the product I should use on the ceiling as well.

I am attaching porcelain tile to cement board that has been treated with LATICRETE WaterTight Floor N'Wall Waterproofing. This is for a shower stall, and I have nightmares of the tiles raining down on us instead of water
    Last edited by pinchy11; 03-02-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Default Re: Tile Ceiling Technique

If the tile is porcelain (as opposed to ceramic), large-format, or stone, you definitely would want an unmodified thinset for your ceiling. Under the listed circumstances, a modified thinset is going to have a really hard time drying considering the impermeable waterproof coating.
    A small tile wouldn't be a problem, nor a ceramic one, as they let in enough air to let it dry with modified.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

What would be an example of an unmodified thinset? I'm no expert for sure, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a store like lowes...

Kerabond and Ditra-set are two brands I've heard of. Lowes has a stone-setting mortar that is unmodified, and they have IIRC "versabond" a slightly-modified thinset that you could use provided the tiles were 6x6 or smaller.
    You want to use a 3/8 x3/8 or 1/2 x 1/2 notch trowel, and fully back-butter the ceiling tiles. You may also have to use sticks to hold them up while they set. You have to mix the thinset as dry as you can but where it still sticks to the ceiling.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.