+ Reply to Thread

Default Tiling the Bathtub area

I'm getting ready to remodel my bathroom and am looking for the proper way to install the hardy board (HB)in the tub area. I'm getting conflicting advice on the net and thought someone might be able to tell me the correct way to do this.

Does the HB set on the lip of the tub or does it fall down in front of the lip, if so how do you make it fit without curving. Do you have to shim the wall studs out the thickness of the lip, how much room to leave where the HB meets the tub.

Do you use a waterproof material behind the board or is the board enough.

Default Re: Tiling the Bathtub area

The wall board sits on the lip not over it.
    Cementious backer board is not water proof -- if it were to become wet it won't mold like gypsum based drywall.
    A water proof membrane should be applied to the surface of the backer board before the tiles.
    Here's a link to a great product from Schulter
    http://www.schluter.com/1324.aspx
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    The wall board sits on the lip not over it.
    Cementious backer board is not water proof -- if it were to become wet it won't mold like gypsum based drywall.
    A water proof membrane should be applied to the surface of the backer board before the tiles.
    Here's a link to a great product from Schulter
    http://www.schluter.com/1324.aspx
    Just to clarify, you are talking about the lip that attaches to the stud. So do you caulk between the top of the lip and the wallboard, what keeps moisture from getting up in there. The lip is about two inches tall, so when I put the tile up it would seem that two inches of the tile less 1/8th of an inch is not sticking to anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Just to clarify, you are talking about the lip that attaches to the stud. So do you caulk between the top of the lip and the wallboard, what keeps moisture from getting up in there. The lip is about two inches tall, so when I put the tile up it would seem that two inches of the tile less 1/8th of an inch is not sticking to anything?
    Yes --- which is what I'm assuming you are talking about.

If you place the wall board over the lip you will have --- what you described earlier--- curving or flaring in. Also if the wall board came down to the tub surface there would be a very good chance of it wicking water up --- regardless how well you caulk.

No you don't need to caulk along the bottom of the wall board.
    There is --- as you mentioned --- approx. 2 inches of this lip which means there would have to be a considerable amount of water to get in behind and up that far.
    When you apply the waterproof membrane over the wall board it is adhered to the lip as well.
    When you apply the tiles they would be built up ( back buttered ) along the bottom edge to bring them flush with the rest of the field.

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush