+ Reply to Thread

Default Paintable Duct Wrap

I have exposed duct work in my finished basement. I do not want to build a box around it! IS THERE A PAINTABLE DUCT WRAP AVAILABLE ? Other suggestions/ideas would be welcome.

Please respond

albanello

Default Re: Paintable Duct Wrap

You could re-do the duct work with lined insluation instead of wrap.Then the metal is exposed which can be painted and looks neater.

Infraredsurvey

Thank You for your response.

The whole story is the duct work had asbestos wrap on it, put on 50 years ago. I had it removed by a quilified abatement company, so I could sell my house. I'm trying to minimize the cost of getting the finished basement back to a acceptable state. (Existing exposed duct work looking nice). Your idea would be great if I was not going to move but I'm afraid the cost in Time and Money is more than I want to put in for a house I'm trying to sell.

Somebody suggested covering the objectionable areas (support bands, screw heads, holes) with Foil tape and then painting. I suppose that would work but I was trying to see if there was a better idea out there or a duct wrap product I could paint.

Thanks again
    albanello

If this is finished and conditioned space, then there is no need for insulation on the duct. There are many "modern" style systems installed that use exposed ducts, both in residential and in commercial applications. If the duct work just needs a little paint to spruce it up, paint it. If you want to improve the aesthetics, you could relocate/change the strapping prior to paint, but I suspect that paint alone will suffice. Don't worry about screw heads, they add character.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A. Spruce

Thank you for your response.

I'm not interested in insulating the duct work, all I'm trying to do is dress it up a little bit by hiding it as much as possible and painting it. The covering that was on there did that. I was hoping there would be a product out there that did the same thing without the asbestos. I'm probably going to go the foil tape and paint route, to soften the strapping, unless I get a better suggestion.

Ps: The strapping is what hold the sections of duct together. Strapping is probably not the correct word but it joins the duct work sections.

albanello