+ Reply to Thread

Default Unpleasant sweet smell in house

We live in a 1910 house in Toronto, Ontario. The house was subdivided into two apartments and rented for many years. We have recently taken down the subdivision and intend to use the whole house. On the main floor, particularly in a small mudroom at the back of the house and in the adjacent kitchen, we notice an unpleasant, fairly strong kind of sweet smell (my partner says it might also be described as a sour milk smell). Both the kitchen and the mudroom have been recently thoroughly cleaned and repainted. They are empty. There are no signs of humidity or rotten material anywhere. The kitchen has a laminate floor in good conditions. The mudroom an old and damaged vinyl tile floor that needs replacement. The mudroom is build as a small extension of the original house and over a crawl space. I checked the crawl space but it doesn’t seem to be particularly humid. Also, the smell is not a typical musty mould smell. Any idea? Could it be the glue used for the vinyl floor? Help!!! And thank you in advance!

Default Re: Unpleasant sweet smell in house

About 25 years ago I had a smell like that in our old (1913)house, in the basement. When I broke up the old sheetrock ceilings, I found two large abandoned, dried-out wasp nests between the floor joists, at opposite ends of the basement and they were the source of the smell. The wasps had got into the basement through cracks in the foundation wall.

Did you solve the "sweet" smell issue? Was a wasps nest found? I have somewhat the same problem in a front porch attached to the house. Almost smells like a noxious weed but we have cleared the area and put lime under the porch.

Call a pest control guy. Sounds like you have or had roaches.