+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Base Board Heat

Default Base Board Heat

I'd like to replace about 6' of my rusty slantFin baseboard heat(forced hot water) in my bathroom. Has anyone had any luck taking the old baseboard out and replacing it with a new one.
    I don't like the perforated cover that I've seen on the web. I just want to try and replace it with the same SlantFin cover.

The baseboard is sandwiched between two walls so I have no room to move side to side, just up....

Default Re: Base Board Heat

DC:

Yes, replacement or painting of the outer shell of the baseboard is done all the time---in other words, the thin steel covers are designed to be removed piece by piece, and the wall bracket unscrewed from the wall---this allows replacement with what's called a 6' "dummy baseboard" that has everything but the elements---if you're interested in replacing only the covers, you can get "dummy baseboard" at a heating supply house in your area (Yellow Pages: "Heating-Parts & Supplies")---I would avoid HD/Lowe's for these items, since they carry only one style of baseboard & it costs more than a supply house.

A quick & dirty fix is to attach radiant wraps (site below) to the existing baseboard as a cover-up.

This also allows working on the replacement without shutting down the system & draining some water from the boiler---if the metal parts are not dented, it's possible to simply clean & spray paint the metal pieces & simply reinstall them.

However, if you are not satisfied with the amount of heat you're getting in the bathroom (especially for shower time or bath time), post back.

Caculate the heat output of 6' of baseboard by multiplying 560 btu/hr by 6'---this is the heat output of one foot of baseboard X 6: thus, 560 X 6 = 3360 btu/hr---if the 6' strip is the only baseboard you have in the bathroom, it's sounds like it's too small for the job, unless you have a tiny 8' X 8' bathroom.

Multiply the length X width of the bathroom, then multiply X 50 or 60 to get a fair idea of how much heat you should have in there, Example say, for a 10' X 15' bathroom: 10 X 15 = 9000/560 =16' of baseboard, or 6' of baseboard and a kickspace heater under the cabinet; or two high-output 6' strips of baseboard stacked one on top of the other---ask counterman at heating supply house to show you what he has in stock to fit into that 6' space.

The latter option would require shutting down the boiler & removing a gallon or two of water & some soldering work.

http://www.beacon-morris.com
    http://www.radiantwraps.com
    http://www.nutone.com/product-detail...roductid=10218
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 03-02-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Default Re: Base Board Heat

Thanks so much for your in-depth response...
    I will take all your recommendations into consideration...

Thanks again for your help!!!