+ Reply to Thread

Default Tub Surface Not Perfectly Level

Hi! I am still undergoing some remodeling in my bathroom (& kitchen) and - after opening a wider eye to things, I noticed that the bathtub is slightly “unlevel.” This is noticeable on the outer surface of the tub, by the faucet side and it slopes the slightest bit to the outside, where water pools and puddles along the floor. I don’t know what damage this could do to our newly installed porcelain tiles and the wood trim that is exposed to this water. (Note: we have only a shower curtain so water easily seeps out …)

My contractor is giving me a bit of a “guilt” trip and seems to blame the uneven flooring that preceded the new tub installation as well as pointing to the manufacturer, possibly giving us a “defective” tub. (I’m not convinced of that, though.) He’s also lamenting about the expense of the whole project. But, believe me: it was an “expense” for me too!

He has proposed to put a Corian, splash guard that will supposedly keep the water from exiting the tub surface. What’s fair? Should he rip out & install a new tub? Or, should I just settle for this Corian splash guard?

Thank you all for responses! I’ve posted on here before and it’s such a help to have you all!!

Default Re: Tub Surface Not Perfectly Level

What’s fair? Should he rip out & install a new tub? Or, should I just settle for this Corian splash guard?
    The tub should be installed level.
    If the contractor was installing the tub in the first place they should have prepared for installing it properly and not messing around with band-aids after the fact.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Tub Surface Not Perfectly Level

The tub should have been installed level.

It's not at all uncommon for the floor to be unlevel or for the tub itself to be slightly out of square, especially if it's a cast iron tub. Kohler rough-in books even have the disclaimer that their cast iron products can vary as much as 1/2" from the specifications. This is because CI tends to warp a little as it cools.

Contractors routinely check roughed-in openings of various kinds for level, plumb, square, etc., knowing that finished components will have to be adjusted to compensate. (Doors, windows, cabinets all have to be shimmed in place to make sure they are corrected for unlevel floors, etc.)