+ Reply to Thread

Default two new shower cartridges leaking..strange

I have a new house and the shower was dripping when turned off. The plumber came and said I need a new cartridge even though the one installed was new. It was an American Standard R120 type P. All the rubber gaskets look just fine. After waiting 2 weeks they came with a new cartridge and installed it. The shower head still leaked in the same way as the other one...a series of drips and then it stops for about a minute and then another series of drips. What are the odds that 2 new cartridges would leak in the same fashion? Now I am waiting for a 3rd.

Anyone ever heard of this with American standard or other brands? Could the plumber got mixed up when removing the old and accidentally reinstalled the bad one? He is perplexed and said it has to be the cartridge. he also checked the water pressure and it is 50 psi which is OK. I also have another shower in the house with the exact cartridge and it does not leak.

any guesses as to what’s happening?

Default Re: two new shower cartridges leaking..strange

A few things come to mind. It is possible that the replacement cartridge was defective, not likely, but possible. The replacement cartridge could have been damaged or improperly installed. Since this is a new house, it is possible that the valve body was damaged during the installation when the house was constructed. If this is the case, then the only repair is total valve replacement. For the time being, I would recommend changing the cartridge one more time and see what happens.

FYI, changing a cartridge is easy, fast, and the parts are generally cheap, something you can do for yourself with basic tools.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the reply. I've replaced cartridges in other houses but since it was under warranty i figured i'de let the plumber do it because the parts/labor were free.

There's certainly no problem with utilizing a warranty contract.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Do these valves leak 24/7...or just for a while after you've showered? If the latter, try turning off the water heater and see if the dripping stops.

The only way this test will be conclusive is if you also don't turn on any other faucets during the test period (30 minutes or so should do it).

If that stops it, we'll offer some considerations as to why this is happening.

(If you have a flash-heater, this little test won't apply. Tank-type heater only)
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-06-2008 at 04:10 PM.

it's 24x7....never stops

it's 24x7....never stops

Hmmmmm. I would then be more suspect of the valve-body itself as Sprucey already mentioned. If there's a flaw or damage in there, it'll likely still leak.. no matter how many new cartridges you install.

Anybody look closely inside the thing yet? The slightest ding in the right/wrong place could do it. Or....if something got bored out just a hair too large...or out of square. Meaning...you might not be able to see a ding because a ding isn't the actual problem.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-06-2008 at 10:12 PM.

i talked to Am std and they said it is the pressure balancing unit that is causing the problem....as soon as i get it installed i'll post a response