+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a new Yard

Default Need a new Yard

A contractor did a lot of work on the house I live in and the yard is a disaster now. To make a long story short, the yard is still a wreck and the putting back together is falling on myself and my friends. We need to level out the yard, there are mounds of dirt in it two or three feet high, and plant grass. I have a truck so we were thinking about getting one of those plows that you can hook to the front bumper and using that to level it out. I'm not sure where to get one or if there's something else that might work better. And I'm not sure what type of grass would work best in our area. None of us are from here. The house is in Ohio, near Dayton. Is there anyone in that area that can offer us some advice on grass seed, or just how to get the yard level again? The help would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Need a new Yard

Forget the snow plow on the truck and just rent a tractor with a loader and rototiller. The tractor will be cheaper and faster and do everything you need it to do. While you're at it, work in some compost, manure, or other organic material into the soil, it will improve the soil and help the grass get a good start.

I'd recommend talking with a sod dealer as to what will work best in your area and in your conditions. Is it shady, is it sunny, is it a combination? Different grasses are needed in different situations. And go with sod over seed. Sod is a little more expensive, yes, but it's instant green and you can be using the yard within a few weeks, as opposed to seed which can take months, if ever, to fill in and look good or be usable.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if sod will be in the budget, but we'll definately ask a dealer. The yard is mostly sunny, with very few areas of shade.

Do you know how much a tractor rental would cost? And where does one rent a tractor from?

A small tractor will probably run in the vicinity of $200 a day, I can't really say what the rates are in your area. Look in the phone book under "equipment rental" and you'll find a number of dealers. If you've got a truck, they will likely give you a trailer to get the tractor to your site. Some places require in-house delivery and will charge accordingly.

Sod really isn't that expensive, particularly when you weigh in all the benefits. Definitely shop around and price it out. If you've got to compromise, I'd recommend planning your entire landscape project, then do it stages. For instance, grade everything, install irrigation lines and run conduit for future lighting and power needs. Brick or cement edgings and mow strips can be done later, sure it's easier with a bare slate, but not impossible later if budget constraints are at issue. Hold off on planting the shrubs, specimen trees, etc.

If you're subject to drought conditions, use less grass and larger flowerbeds. This not only cuts down on the cost of sod, it saves you water in the summer. Oh, and use drought tolerant plants in the beds.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Need a new Yard

lets analyze:

- OpenOffice, Lotus SmartSuite are aimed to organize DB and print Invoices, etc. but..

users dont know how to use office suites , they need simple cheap solution.

I think Spruce is talking about something we call a bobcat. It's a small piece of equipment. I've rented one myself and I think he's pretty accurate with the cost.

I also agree with Spruce regarding Sod. It's not all that expensive. Price things out. Seed is not cheap and it's better to seed in the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbouchard View Post
    I think Spruce is talking about something we call a bobcat. It's a small piece of equipment. I've rented one myself and I think he's pretty accurate with the cost.
    Nope! tractor - four wheels, steering wheel, gear shift, loader on the front, tiller on the back. Much easier implement for a novice to run, almost like driving a car. Skid steers (aka Bobcat ) come with many of the same implements as well, but they're not exactly user friendly to the uninitiated. though they are great in tight places.