+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing an outlet in a vanity

I saw episode #815 of Ask This Old House and an outlet was installed in the wall of the vanity. A clip of some sort was used to help secure the metal electrical box in place on the 1/2" thick vanity. Is this clip readily available and does anyone know what it's called?
    Thanks

Default Re: Installing an outlet in a vanity

Or do what most people do and just use a plastic "cut in" box.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks so much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    Known by many names.

F-strap
    Madison Clip
    Madison Bar
    Battleship Clip

And that's just a few.

Caddy / Erico calls them an Old Work Box Mount. Part #DS12A
    I can think of an other name or two for the clips. Used as a last result by most in my opinion. The blue PVC box is a godsend for most applications.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    Depends on the application and wiring method. I did not see the show but would think if they used romex it was at least sleeved in flex of some kind rather than leaving it exposed in the cabinet. That would dictate a box with a knock-out in it. Which would mean a metal box unless you could find a plastic box with a ko.
    I did not see the show either. Can't see them using any product other than Romex. Maybe some one else on board and will supply some info.
    Most of the episodes run they shy away from electrical work in general and that could be a good thing.

One of the few that shows I've seen there was one episode of Ask TOH where Rich was showing the homeowner how to replace a vanity.
    The wiring was romex with a metal box that was existing from the old vanity --- just transplanting it to the new cabinet with the crappy clips-- and not very well IIRC .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

They don't clamp and secure the box as well as a rework box --- which if you need those F's you could just as well use the rework box ---- IMO
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    One of the few that shows I've seen there was one episode of Ask TOH where Rich was showing the homeowner how to replace a vanity.
    The wiring was romex with a metal box that was existing from the old vanity --- just transplanting it to the new cabinet with the crappy clips-- and not very well IIRC .
    We did watch an ATOH episode, last Friday, I believe. A homeowner wanted to add pendant lights to a kitchen counter. OK
    The Sparky hacked out a PVC gang box near the counter to add one more switch. Still OK. But on the install instead of using an old work box, he modified a PVC tack on box and dry wall screwed the box to a stud. Code violation # 1.
    Then while using pancake boxes to install the pendants no mention was made of fill calculations. Code violation # 2 ?
    That is why the show should shy away from electrical work.
    Sorry to hijack the post...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    We did watch an ATOH episode, last Friday, I believe. A homeowner wanted to add pendant lights to a kitchen counter. OK
    The Sparky hacked out a PVC gang box near the counter to add one more switch. Still OK. But on the install instead of using an old work box, he modified a PVC tack on box and dry wall screwed the box to a stud. Code violation # 1.
    Then while using pancake boxes to install the pendants no mention was made of fill calculations. Code violation # 2 ?
    That is why the show should shy away from electrical work.
    Sorry to hijack the post...
    Just a note on the above, they (arlington, smart box, and allied molded) make a pvc box with screw already installed on the inside. And pancake box is ok for a pendent as you can count the cubes in the canopy, and get a pancake w/o romex clamps in it

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    Just a note on the above, they (arlington, smart box, and allied molded) make a pvc box with screw already installed on the inside. And pancake box is ok for a pendent as you can count the cubes in the canopy, and get a pancake w/o romex clamps in it
    Arlington Industries continues to produce some outstanding products.
    I have yet to find an inspector willing to crunch the numbers of the volume of a cone then transpose them into a fill calculation requirement.....Very few pancakes boxes pass inspections in these parts, may be a regional thing though.