+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Hybrid water heater

I saw Ask This Old House show the other day about hybrid water heaters but I have one BIG questions. Since they take heat out of the house aren't you paying twice to heat the water? But is does sound like it is dehumidifies the room so that could save that cost if installed in a basement. Any help what does it do to the heat in the room it is located?
    Last edited by mitch55; 03-01-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: miss spelling

Default Re: Hybrid water heater

Quote Originally Posted by mitch55 View Post
    I saw Ask This Old House show the other day about hybrid water heaters but I have one BIG questions. Since they take heat out of the house aren't you paying twice to heat the water? But is does sound like it is dehumidifies the room so that could save that cost if installed in a basement. Any help what does it do to the heat in the room it is located?
    I'm guessing you're referring to the GE electric model.
    They don't take heat out of the house but rather use the ambient air within the home to asist with heating the water in the tank.
    My understanding is the unit on top acts as a heat pump/dehumidifier with the condensor coils surrounding the tank.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I'm guessing you're referring to the GE electric model.
    They don't take heat out of the house but rather use the ambient air within the home to asist with heating the water in the tank.
    My understanding is the unit on top acts as a heat pump/dehumidifier with the condensor coils surrounding the tank.
    Isn't the ambient air the heated air in the house? My understanding it works like a heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch55 View Post
    Isn't the ambient air the heated air in the house? My understanding it works like a heat pump.
    Yes --- as previously posted.
    Since it takes in the ambient air extracts some heat then puts the air back into the room. I'm sure it's not a signifgant amount to impact the heating in the home.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

So they are using electric to run a compressor for the heat pump stage and then a heating element or two for the water heater itself? And this is supposed to be how much more efficient than a straight heating element heater?

I'm thinking it may be more efficient to just have an un-insulated tempering tank fill with water to absorb room heat prior to filling the water heater - no electric needed for the tempering tank.

I came to the same conclusion. If it takes heat out of the ambient air it is pumping cooled air back out into the house.I wonder if the lost heat from the house is figured into the cost calculations. Perhaps it evens out when it's hot outside.
    \Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb