+ Reply to Thread

Default replace existing window

I have a standard sized window. outside is vinyl encased. inside wood. the weather has broken down the vinyl around the sill and the lower part of window(encasement I guess). How do you replace this window? I have vinyl siding outside.

Default Re: replace existing window

I'd try to find out the manufacturer of the window and see what options they offer. I don't know about the vinyl/wood combo frames but most vinyl window frame mfr's that I'm familiar with, are offering a lifetime guarantee on their products these days.

If you can't find out who makes your window, you could still go to a vinyl window mfr and see what options they have to replace your exterior components. They may have something that could be used.

Failing all that, tear off the vinyl carefully and replace it with wood. If you have a table saw, you could probably make the pieces that you need and then just install, caulk, and paint as you would with any wood window. This all assumes that the vinyl and wood are separate and that you can remove one without taking out the other side.

Good Luck.