+ Reply to Thread

Default tung oil vs. poly finish for new wood floor?

I could use some advice, please, about what to put on new floors in my kitchen/bath/hall/bedroom remodel. It's an old house, so I'm staying with the old wide floorboards, but they are new 10" hard pine (yellow pine). The contractor wants to use 3 coats of tung oil as finish, but the rest of the house is polyurethane (some sort of minwax floor finish, I think). I'm mostly worried about water damage, but these will also be pretty high traffic areas. Advice about whether to use an oil finish or a poly?

thanks!

Default Re: tung oil vs. poly finish for new wood floor?

True Tung Oil is far superior to poly. It's not only has better water resistance, better alcohol resistance as well as many other chemicals, it is also easier to maintain because you only need to rub on a new coat periodically to refresh the finish, you never need to strip Tung Oil. The short fall is it's expensive, about twice the price of good poly. However I would be very particular about what type of Tung Oil is used, there are a lot of blends on the market.

A good reference is http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/tungoil.htm
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks very much! I'm wondering too, how often do you think I'd need to renew/reapply it? & what would you use to clean it?

'appreciate the advice! P.

Damp mopping is all you would need to clean it. Re coating will depend on traffic wear.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here's another article
    http://www.realmilkpaint.com/floortung.html

The one thing i see as a problem would be if you waxed the floor makes it difficult to do touch ups with the tung oil.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

you said something about old pine floors and new 10" wide yellow pine planks sure hope the new was kiln dried and temp set.
    when we went about sanding and planing the old boards long aged and dried from time only ended up releasing some sap pockets was a real mess. ended up getting a reclaimer to kiln the old. can't remember the details of how it worked but they baked it at the end something like 200 degrees or about to crystalize the old sap so it wouldnt ooze or erupt when sanded or through the finish.

runner carpets near the traffic areas and in the kitchen by the sink keeping them clean and dry. use solvent then touch up bad areas.

i'd urge you to rethink the yellow pine in the bathroom at least up against china fixtures even if you are religious about using exaust fans they might sweat in the summer and that would turn your wood black. kind of hard to sanitize the bathroom floors when they're wood and g****fruit seed extract eats down the oil finish.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 09-07-2008 at 06:43 PM.