+ Reply to Thread

Default Weak Ground bad?

Hi all -

I've been trying to find the answer on these boards, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

My wife and I just bought a house. One room has 6 outlets - all show as "no ground" connection on my circuit tester. (i say that hesitantly, because the third orange light is lit - partially) Luckily the room is in an unfinished basement, so I can trace the wires back. I know which outlet is the "main outlet." (where the others are sub-outlet). I took everything apart and the ground is screwed in tightly.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

All of the other outlets in the room show the same on the tester. (no red light, bright middle orange, dim far right light.)

is the ground connected but not very well??

Default Re: Weak Ground bad?

It could be an anomaly with your tester ( I never use them I prefer a VOM for testing), or it could be a high resistant connection. That can be caused by corroded screws and wires or loose connections in a junction box. Make sure the wires ware on the screws and not in the stab connectors. Make sure there is a ground wire on the ground screw and not dependent on outlet contact with the box.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

To add to Jack's post ... also check at the breaker panel for the feed line's ground.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

could a loose neutral in the panel cause this symptom?