+ Reply to Thread

Default Sinking Patio Pavers

Put in a patio (19' x 33') 5 years ago. Every year rains wash away the 3/4" of sand bed along the outer edge of the patio. The base foundation of the patio is 8" to 12" of crushed limestone fines.

Did I use the wrong sand to set the pavers in?

Should I have installed a drainage pipe along the outer edge?

Unfortunately, the patio is perfectly level. I designed it to have a 2" pitch over the 19' width but during the build I set the outer retaining wall to the wrong height and never looked back. Do I need to start over and redo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0675.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	3209  

Default Re: Sinking Patio Pavers

The cause is pate tectonics come on some small scale humor.
    How about simply removing and adding sand and re leveling the worst settling? Did you compact the fill with a compactor prior to laying the pavers. and the settling may be as far as it is going to go. You could conside3r on the outer couple of coursed to remove and level with sand mic cement and reset the pavers to stop the wash out.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 02-20-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling

I have reset the outer course of bricks twice only to have the sand be washed away again by rain.

Is there sand specifically designed to set bricks in?

Mixing sand with concrete is an interesting idea that I will think about. Thanks.

Howdy, sand mix cement available any where they sell bagged cement. Hope it makes you smile when the sand doesn't wash out.