+ Reply to Thread

Default insulating 200 yr old cellar

i have a 200 yr old center chimney colonial in new england. the majority of the house is built over inaccessible crawl space and there is a small dirt floor cellar under the center of the house that contains the furnace and not much else. given the rise in home heating costs, we have decided to convert to wood stove for the bulk of our heating needs. as part of this switch i am removing old ceiling insulation in the basement and considering options for replacement (batts or blow-in foam). I am also insulating all water pipes in anticipation of limited furnace usage. I am also putting vapor barrier and stone on floor in to help w/ moisture. does anyone have any recommendations regarding insulating the cellar ceiling? what about insulation on the stone foundation walls to help keep pipes from freezing? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: insulating 200 yr old cellar

Blow in foam will cover far beyond typical insulation. Here's the phone of an expert, tell him patrick sent you from DemoAiret corporation......274.492.9219 n his name is jim Upton. My experience of 23 yrs of doing strictly 1800's remodels you gotta go to the limit on insulation and it's ability to remove air pockets.