+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Convert 2 plug outlet to 3 plug outlet

..... and I thank you sir.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree with Kent, it must be verified that the panel is properly grounded. Because the common bus is connected to the panel and the conduit is connected to the panel a false reading of a ground connection can occur.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I agree with Kent, it must be verified that the panel is properly grounded. Because the common bus is connected to the panel and the conduit is connected to the panel a false reading of a ground connection can occur.
    Jack
    I agree, but in this case we do not know where the connection has occured. It may be a "ground" to neutral "short" anywhere in the system. It could very well be that the neutral is not bonded to the can at the main disconnect or service. It could very well be that although the connection is good enough to light an led on a plug tester it is nowhere near good enough to clear a short.

You are right Jack, the whole system needs to be verified by someone who understands electrical systems...........

"Ground" and what that means is understood by a very few people. Even in the electrical contractors and electricians world.

Arrg!!!!!!!!!!!............ I have figured out caring about people is a fault of mine and not an asset. lol just kidding........ just kidding....... I love it really or I would not be here.

All your fault Canuk....... You Nort Country Animal......... Do you Hibernate that far Nort?

Hey Buckie,

Where in CO are you?
    Last edited by kentvw; 09-05-2008 at 07:21 PM.

That's quite apparent when you consider the number of people that think common is ground and has no current flow.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Arrg!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Buckie,

Where in CO are you?
    I'm in Pueblo.

Another question for you Buckie:

Electrical service on your home ever replaced? Ground rod? etc.? do you know?

Sounds to me that it might be just as easy, and affordable, to replace the outlet with another 2 prong outlet. This house is a rental property.

That's the problem. Don't know. I really doubt that it has been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckie 777 View Post
    Sounds to me that it might be just as easy, and affordable, to replace the outlet with another 2 prong outlet. This house is a rental property.
    You can use feed through GFCI receptacles at the head of each branch circuit and use three prong receptacles down stream...... Cheap solution. Safe too.