+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Convert 2 plug outlet to 3 plug outlet

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    If you say so but the original poster is from Colorado , so how does this apply?
    hey says he has conduit and metal boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    hey says he has conduit and metal boxes.
    and we go full circle.
    it was suggested perhaps BX and not conduit.

And thanks for the geography lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    I agree jack lots of BX in home very seldom do you find conduit. Unless it is in chicago or the burbs of chicago
    Just think all the work we would have if we had to install EMT on ALL jobs.
    I might be able to retire early.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    Yes it is required that you attach a green or bare wire from the box using a ground screw to the grounded outlet. The whole assembly can be found in your home center and is easy to install. This would make it code compliant if your home wired as you say in conduit.
    I'm not sure I understand..not having done this before. Are you saying that all I have to do is attach a green wire from the outlet box to the ground screw on the outlet?

This may be a dumb question, but is there a specific ground screw, or will any screw work to attach the wire to the box?

Thanks for your input

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Buckie 777 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand..not having done this before. Are you saying that all I have to do is attach a green wire from the outlet box to the ground screw on the outlet?

This may be a dumb question, but is there a specific ground screw, or will any screw work to attach the wire to the box?

Thanks for your input
    by code it has to be green as green is always a ground in electrical systems.

Home depot or lowes sells a screw attached to a green wire make it a lot easier to install. I also would by a receptacle tester that will test for ground an polarity.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    3-story 12unit condo: conduit
    block home 1-1/2 story over basement: conduit
    NYC home conduit and metal boxes same for all friends and neighbors.
    VA new row house with finished walk-out to grade basement conduit
    Bostom brick home with finished attic was rehabbed and rewired by prior owner from knob and tube to all new wiring: all conduit and metal boxes

strange.
    Well Baltimore city had ammended the code and at one time required conduit in a unfinished basement. People used Romex as a close line
    Harry

Note that if you do go the ground screw route that it will be a screw size 10-32.

I doubt very much that you have a tapped 10-32 hole in the back of your circa 1959 boxes which means you will need to drill and tap them.

An electricians tool is made that looks like a screw driver and has three tap sizes on it, 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32 for hand taping.

Hey you experts on the NEC do you think you can chime in on his other question ?

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=8149
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I’ll try and answer since you asked Canuk and, dang I wish I had a code book with me for a reference but I don’t.

Yes, the code does allow conduit to be used as a grounding means.

That said; to me there are just way too many variables here………….

Are all the connectors and locknuts wrench tight? Are couplings secure? Is corrosion an issue? (Probably not in CO.)

I’ll also say that although I no longer work in the field that when I did I never once installed conduit without a grounding conductor and instruct my crews today to do the same. I’ll say too that I have never given self grounding devices more than a passing glance and have never installed a device without a grounded pigtail attached to the device.

The biggest issue here to me is not even the branch circuit grounding talked about in this thread……………

The biggest issue to me is what is going on back at the service to the home. The neutral needs to be bonded back to the can to “ground” going back out to these branch circuits. Forget ground rods, cold water pipe etc. for the time being………….. In a short to “ground” situation at say a receptacle you want the “ground” to give you an alternative path back to the neutral, folks and nothing more……….. Fault current in a short condition does not some how go to the dirt. All it is doing is seeking it’s source. The neutral.

The OP may be seeing that his plug checker is giving him a normal reading. What he is reading is that the neutral and ground are indeed bonded together at some point but; Where? How? Are those connections really good enough to clear a fault?………………. Who knows?

The grounding electrode system does however, provide a very important function to help clear lighting strikes and other anomalies. But that is another subject.