+ Reply to Thread

Question Hole-in-the-wall support

I would like to cut a large opening (about four feet high by five feet wide) in a load-bearing wall between a kitchen and living room to create a feeling of larger space. I know how to frame it, but I have to remove four studs in the load-bearing wall to frame in the new opening. What would be the best way to support the ceiling beam above the wall (now supported by the four studs that I need to remove) while I frame the new opening?

Default Re: Hole-in-the-wall support

Generally you would build temporary framed walls on each side of the area making sure to be within 2 feet of the bearing wall and have the ends on top of joists if applicable.
    If you have a second storey you should consider extending the temp. support walls down to the basement if there is one.

You have to also consider the point loads you are creating with the support columns for the header.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Hole-in-the-wall support

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Generally you would build temporary framed walls on each side of the area making sure to be within 2 feet of the bearing wall and have the ends on top of joists if applicable.
    If you have a second storey you should consider extending the temp. support walls down to the basement if there is one.

You have to also consider the point loads you are creating with the support columns for the header.