+ Reply to Thread

Question Hole-in-the-wall support

I would like to cut a large opening (about four feet high by five feet wide) in a load-bearing wall between a kitchen and living room to create a feeling of larger space. I know how to frame it, but I have to remove four studs in the load-bearing wall to frame in the new opening. What would be the best way to support the ceiling beam above the wall (now supported by the four studs that I need to remove) while I frame the new opening?

Default Re: Hole-in-the-wall support

Quote Originally Posted by snailmaker View Post
    I would like to cut a large opening (about four feet high by five feet wide) in a load-bearing wall between a kitchen and living room to create a feeling of larger space. I know how to frame it, but I have to remove four studs in the load-bearing wall to frame in the new opening. What would be the best way to support the ceiling beam above the wall (now supported by the four studs that I need to remove) while I frame the new opening?
    Frame a temporary wall on both sides right next to the one you are removing.
    Harry

Smile Re: Hole-in-the-wall support

Real easy solution. Remove the four studs, nail or screw a cripple stud along the side of each side stud, place a header on the cripples to bear the load. Header should be heavy enough material, with a piece of half inch plywood between, so your thickness is 3 1/2 inches, if it is a 2X4 wall. Depending on how much load there is to bear, you may have to use 2X6, 2X8 or larger material.

This will be just like installing a header for a door, window, etc. Where you want the bottom of the opening, do the same thing, with just shorter studs below the bottom plate of the opening.