+ Reply to Thread

Smile How to keep old wavy glass windows and make double pane

My husband and I have an historic house built in 1887. We love the old wavy glass windows and would like to keep them. I saw a This Old House awhile back where Tom Silva said that you can keep the old wavy glass and make them dual pane windows. Has anyone heard of this, or know where or what company can do this? Thanks!

Default Re: How to keep old wavy glass windows and make double pane

I am looking for the same information. If you find out something please email me and let me know. I will do the same. Thanks
    Kevin.

The only way I can think to do this is to cut a pane of glass the correct size, put a dot of silicon at the corners of the glass, and push it up against the old glass. Only push it as far as you need to, to have the silicon gob spread out a little. You don't need to push it up tight.

Now install window stops around the new glass to finish it off, then paint it. It's your choice on which side you want on the outside/to the weather or on the inside of the house.

Good Luck.

We have the same thing in a great old house. All contractors I've spoken with tell me that using an outside combination storm/screen like a Larson really won't do much good becuase so much of the heat loss is in the sides of the windows in the rope and pulley system, and that area is not insulated (we live outside the Twin Cities). However, it seems to me intuitively that a storm/screen combo has to be better than the wooden storms that hang from the top and then fit into stops. I can't seem to get a definitive answer.
    I refuse to put in new windows with a vinyl interior because they look like #@$%, and the wood work is beautiful. And the old sheet glass has so much character. I do not want to loose the stained glass transom windows. So I figure that SOMEONE must make a product that can go on the outside like a thermopane storm.