+ Reply to Thread

Default Cutting Styrofoam Sheets

I want to use sheets of 1" thick styrofoam to insulate the underside of my shop roof. The sheets will need to be cut to match the width of the rafters, wherein lies my question. What is the best way to trim the styrofoam to proper size and minimize the waste and messiness of cutting with a utility knife?

Default Re: Cutting Styrofoam Sheets

Table Saw?

Watch your hands!

Make a bow saw with a bow bigger than the width you want to cut and instead of a saw blade use a thin guitar string.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

an electric carving knife you know the ones with two opposing serrated blades works really well.

slapping foam board against the bottom of the roof deck between supports might not be a good idea though.

I would like to venture a guess on why the foam on plywood is not a good idea. If you have a leak in the roof, the foam may hide it until it is a major repair of replacing sections of sheeting.

It may also allow the roof to heat up in the summer as the air can't cool the summer sun. This could shorten the fiberglass or asphalt shingles.

I doubt if there would be a vapor problem from the living area as this would happen if you laid it down on the attic floor.

I've never tried it, but there was a hot wire knife used by model railroaders to slice styrofoam laid in scenery that is supposed to work well. I'm not sure who carries them, but you might ask your local hobby dealer.

Some soldering gun kits come with a "hot knife" attachment that can be used to cut foam board. You may also be able to score the foam board with a utility knife and snap the board, rather than trying to cut all the way through which will be messy.

In most cases, you want to provide ventilation to the underside of the roof (ventilation to the outside). This will help to prevent moisture damage -- and for those readers in colder climates, will help prevent ice dams in the wintertime.