+ Reply to Thread

Default Granite Counter advice

I have an island in my kitchen that is only 4'wide by 3' deep. I am replacing my countertop with granite and would like to know if I can extend the width to 5' so I have more working space. Is there a standard for the overhang.

Default Re: Granite Counter advice

foot overhang will not be a problem. That's pretty typical for a sitting area.

usually for 2 C.M. granite an overhang of 6-8 inches unsupported. on 3 C.M. it is 8-10 inches unsupported. but the truth is that it depends on they type of granite that you choose. granite with a lot of veins in it would be on the lower side and other granites like uba tuba, tan brown, tropic brown, verde marinachi these would go to the higer side. and probally could exceed it a little depending on the slab.

If your overhang exceeds the recommended distance, you could make a few corbels to add support. One on each end and maybe two spaced in the middle. I did this for my peninsula and was able to match the cabinet color close enough so that you can't tell the corbels didn't come with the cabinets.