+ Reply to Thread

Default Building over carpet

I'm partitioning a large, carpeted room to make a bedroom. I'm just adding two perpendicular walls. Can't I lag the 2x4 floor plates directly over the berber carpet and into the subfloor? I don't want to mess with cutting the carpet and having it re-stretched, etc.

Default Re: Building over carpet

You can do what you want, but the carpet should be removed before nailing on a plate for a new wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    also it doesnt allow for a good fit for measuring studs, they could be loose or too tight by allowing too much or not enough compression of the carpet

if it were me, remove it
    And this will affect the fit, finish, and longevity of the drywall. It's not that big a deal to mark where the wall will lay and cut the carpet along the centerline of it. Roll the carpet back out of the way, build and finish your wall, and reset the carpet. If you can't figure out how to stretch/lay it yourself, it won't be that expensive to have someone do it for you.

In the long run, you'll save time and money by removing the carpet because you won't have fit and finish problems with the wall and you won't damage the carpet in the process, because no matter how careful you are, dust and debris will get ground into the carpet, and berber is a pain to get clean once that's happened.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You didn't ask about it, but I would also recommend removing the drywall at the ceiling so you can fasten the top plate correctly.

... besides, what'll happen when you clean the carpet? Or want to replace it?