+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: House is freezing

I have a heat pump (live in the St. Louis area) - the people who owned this house before me had it installed. It works well above 30 degrees, then not so well, and in the 20's, forget it.

They had an auxilliary heat source installed, also - a regular furnace (house is all electric), and put it in the attic. I don't recommend that. (They cut the trusses to do it and it cost quite a bit to have an engineer come out, inspect, design a fix, and have them fixed. )

I do recommend the secondary heat source, though. The heat pump saves me some money, but only above certain outside temps. Also, something I learned about them - you set the temp. and leave it... don't adjust it cooler when you leave for the day or at night - just set it and leave it. The temp stays more even in the house that way.

Who told you yours is the same as the contractor's system? Did they just say that to make the sale or is it the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Freezyn View Post
    I plan to have that done as soon as I return home in October. I got a couple of quotes in Jan. Just worried about more and more money with no positive result.
    Insulation isn't a waste of money if done properly.

I certainly agree with the comments from the others.... the heat pump sized and installed correctly should be better than what you are seeing.

The fact they have been back several times in 15 months sounds like they really don't know what they're doing.

As bp2901 mentions regarding the ducts ... how and where they are run ... if they are sealed and not leaking ... if they are insulated ... if they are sized proerly.

Ed21 is right on the money HVAC isn't rocket science for reputable companies .... though ..... there are installations that are done you would swear a child had done it.
    Last edited by canuk; 09-04-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Geez ... my spelling is terrible.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

dumb question is it a programable thermastat. do you raise and lower temp through out the day. if so thats your problem i had one installed in jan 1800 sq ft no insulation work great but i had to pick a temp and let go if i raised and lower it could not handle it. but to maintain it it worked great down to 35 degrees

BITE THE BULLIT CALL A DIFFERENT HVAC GUY

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    I wasn't too clear on the ducting question, I'll try again. The heat pump has an air handler blower unit that pushes the supposedly warm air through the ductwork and out the supply registers into the rooms. You will also have return ducts that take air from your rooms back to the air handler.

Where are these ducts, both supply and return? In the crawlspace or in the attic? They are all in the Attic.Are they insulated? Yep, they have that silver stuff wrapped around them.

Your heated air may be cooling too much on its way to the room registers and your return air may be too cold for the unit to heat back up. Where is the blower unit, a closet space or laundry room maybe? You may be able to see where the ducts are headed to, up or down, by looking at this unit. Dont know what a blower unit is? the hoses come out of the box n the attic and pump is outside directly beneath where the box is in the attic.

The cold weather question would have been better posed as the following. Does your house stay reasonably warm (68*) when it is in the 50's outside and only have problems keeping up with the cold when it stays in the 30's outside? Or is the heat a problem even when the outside temp is in the 50's? Heat is always a problem.
    By the way, don't be afraid of that critter that died in the crawlspace. It's probably done outgassing by now!
    I hope so, at least the house is not filled with flies like a Omen movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    What size heat pump do you have? Im not sure but it is more than adequate I've been told by others that came to check
    Some contractors will tell you anything to get out of a problem. He still owes you a functioning system. 58 degrees in the winter doesn't cut it.Tell me about it
    Where in Md. do you live that you don't need A/C. In the mountains or you just enjoy sweating? I just dont like AC, even when I lived in Egypt, I used circulation systems and fans, never AC.If you are in the mountains, your heat pump will need an auxiliary heat source. What is it?
    You may have to call in another heating contractor to get a second opinion. The original may have underbid the job and screwed you to recoup his loss & won't admit it.
    Find out if the attic ducts are insulated. Find out if the ducts are connected & sealed properly? Is the return air working?
    HVAC isn't rocket science. It shouldn't be that hard to heat a 1200 sf house.
    As soon as I get home, I'm so on it. You all have helped me alot The crawlspace is #1 on the list and then the batting in the Attic until I get the Attic finished completely as usable house space and not just storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
    I have a heat pump (live in the St. Louis area) - the people who owned this house before me had it installed. It works well above 30 degrees, then not so well, and in the 20's, forget it.Same here

They had an auxilliary heat source installed, also - a regular furnace (house is all electric), and put it in the attic. I don't recommend that. (They cut the trusses to do it and it cost quite a bit to have an engineer come out, inspect, design a fix, and have them fixed. )I may have to do that too

I do recommend the secondary heat source, though. The heat pump saves me some money, but only above certain outside temps. Also, something I learned about them - you set the temp. and leave it... don't adjust it cooler when you leave for the day or at night - just set it and leave it. The temp stays more even in the house that way.

Who told you yours is the same as the contractor's system? Did they just say that to make the sale or is it the truth?When I first got it and I checked it ******, it indicated it was for a home up to 4000 sf...but shoot, If it does not heat, I dont care what size it is.
    I'm looking into a solar heater with panels on the pool house.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezyn View Post
    Put new heat pump system (mistake), replaced all windows, gutted two rooms, replaced plaser with insulation and drywall, repared all subfloors and installed pergo in kitchen, dining and spare room. new ceramic tile on bathroom floor, wall to wall carpet in primary bedroom, wall to wall area rugs in other three rooms. Removed old wooden plank exterior, had home wrapped in Tyvek and sided with T1-11. $40,000 in upgrades and this House still does not get above 58 degrees in the winter. I am in MD. PLEASE help me figure what the problem is. 1250sf wooden frame house on a varied crawl space from 1 to 3 feet. I gonna be freezing again come Nov if I cant figure this out..
    good thread worth reviving

heat pumps in an old house are a lousy source of heat- I know people with NEW homes and heat pumps, that freeze their butts off every year- what you need is a coal or wood stove- preferably coal.

I have a hand fired coal stove of new design on the first floor in my living room- and have to open up windows and let heat OUT in the winter, that's how hot it is- in Pa. USA- it burns 40 lbs. of coal per day, about 2 tons or more per heating season, runs 24/7 from October to March every year, sometimes into April and May. The electric baseboard is shut OFF completely. I heat the house for about $80-$100 month at current cost of $165/ton for coal, never burned more than 3 tons in even the coldest winters, some days were -25 to -30 F. in winter cold snap at night for one or two days

so much for "going green"- coal is still king, when it comes to heating a home effectively, and economically- and you get to use the coal ash as fill, and traction material in the driveway in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by William Munny View Post
    good thread worth reviving

heat pumps in an old house are a lousy source of heat- I know people with NEW homes and heat pumps, that freeze their butts off every year- what you need is a coal or wood stove- preferably coal.

I have a hand fired coal stove of new design on the first floor in my living room- and have to open up windows and let heat OUT in the winter, that's how hot it is- in Pa. USA- it burns 40 lbs. of coal per day, ....
    I would have to disagree, heat pumps are one of the most efficient systems sold, and, when designed and installed properly, work very well. There are millions in use in the USA, you just hear about the nonworking ones. Coal is cheap, no argument there, but it produces air pollution that is harmful to humans, plants, and animals. It is a leading cause of smog, acid rain, global warming, and air toxics. As a result, most cities of any size ban the burning of coal within their boundries.
    Last edited by ZZZ; 08-14-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
    I would have to disagree, heat pumps are one of the most efficient systems sold, and, when designed and installed properly, work very well. There are millions in use in the USA, you just hear about the nonworking ones. Coal is cheap, no argument there, but it produces air pollution that is harmful to humans, plants, and animals. It is a leading cause of smog, acid rain, global warming, and air toxics. As a result, most cities of any size ban the burning of coal within their boundries.
    you are so far off base with this post, I am compelled to set the record straight for you, with some facts:

1. nearly half, the vast majority, of electricity generated in the USA is made from burning coal, without it you would not even have electricity to run your heat pump, see link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:So...e_USA_2006.png

2. global warming is a complete HOAX- we have had the coldest summer and year on record in 2009, for the first time since 1994, I have not had to install the window a/c units in my home here in Pa.- last winter, we had the longest winter ever, since I lived here- had to start the coal stove 2 weeks EARLY in October

3. recently a WWII vintage fighter aircraft was recovered in Greenland, it crashed there during the war- it was called the "glacier girl"- to get at the plane, the workers had to bore through 268 feet of solid ice- if "global warming" did indeed exist, shouldn't that airplane be on the surface with all ice melted away by now ? In 60 years, the ice pack had increased by 268 feet, covering it. So much for global warming- see it here

http://p38assn.org/glacier-girl-recovery.htm

When the Gopher completed melting its 268-foot-deep shaft it was winched out of the hole and set aside. The hole took the better part of a month to complete. The descent to the bottom of the ice hole took twenty-five minutes. Men equipped with steam hoses were lowered in to carve out a cave surrounding the aircraft. Water created from this was constantly pumped out, as workers had to slog through ice water to keep the project moving along.

4. "efficient" and "warm" are 2 different things- a matchstick is very efficient- but striking it and lighting it, won't heat your entire house. A brand new Yugo had an efficient engine, when it ran- but who would want to drive one ? A one room tent is efficient- who would want to live in one for their entire life ? Likewise, a heat pump can be spoken of as being "efficient" but everyone that has one, is always cold in their house, and is actually using more electricity than everyone else with conventional coal, oil, or gas heat.

5. plants breathe in, absorb, and need CARBON DIOXIDE- CO2 emitted by fossil fuels, is actually what they need to grow. If you reduce CO2 emissions, you are actually SUFFOCATING THE PLANTS- not helping them grow.

see it here

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0123400AAgWImm

Plants that Use Carbon Dioxide (CO2):
    Autotrophic Plants
    Green plants (the green color comes from the green pigments in chlorophyll molecules) are completely autotrophic. Autotrophic plants require only solar energy, carbon dioxide, water, and a few minerals to make all the organic compounds necessary to keep themselves going and growing. So all autotrophic plants use carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide, water, and minerals are all inorganic compounds. Autotrophic plants, then, can get everything they need from inorganic compounds.

Semiparasitic Plants
    Some plants can't quite do it all from just water, CO2, and sunlight (and a few other nutrients like nitrogen). Semiparasitic plants have some green parts and can take carbon dioxide from the air, but they can't quite do it all by themselves, so they have to take some nutrients from an autotrophic host plant. In other words, these types of plants actually connect themselves to another plant and take some of the food they need from the host plant. Mistletoe is an example of this kind of plant.

Insectivorous Plants
    Another type of plant that uses carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, but still needs a little something extra, are the insectivorous plants. Examples of these are the cool and creepy venus fly trap and pitcher plants. They catch and slowly digest insects and other unfortunate little animals that fall into their traps. Insectivorous plants can live without catching animals but they are a lot healthier if they can catch an occasional bug now and then. Like the semiparasites, they can't make all the organic compounds they need from just air, water, and soil.

6. the "green movement" will go the way of the CB radio and 8-track tape, it's a fad that will die out in future years, because when you have to choose between survival and food, and being "green", you'll choose survival. Our entire food supply depends on harvesting of vast tracts in the USA, by diesel and gasoline powered harvesting machines. Take fossil fuels away, the country, the the rest of the world, starves.

summary-if you want to live the modern convenient lifestyle we enjoy here in the USA, that requires FOSSIL FUELS, and any move away from those fuels now, will cost us drastically in standard of living. We aren't there yet with alternate fuel sources. Coal, oil, and gas are still king.
    Last edited by William Munny; 08-15-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Bill, thanks for clearing that up, I never realized that all the top scientists in the world got together to make up the Global Warming hoax. I'll bet there's no truth to the "World is round" hoax either.
    Last edited by ZZZ; 08-15-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling error