+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stud spacing

Default stud spacing

I am building some walls in my basement.
    I am aware that 16" oc is the standard stud spacing for walls. However, I see that the USG website lists 24" oc studs as acceptable for 1/2" rock which is what I will be using. What would be the disadvantage to using 24" oc studs for these walls?

Default Re: stud spacing

I know with ceilings on 24" centers it is better to use 5/8" drywall to minimize the "waves" that would show up by using the less stiff 1/2". Walls may be the same only to a lesser effect. Just curious, are you doing this to minimize thermal bridging or material cost?

If you do decide to go with 24 inch spacing you might consider installing your drywall vertically instead of horizontally.

Installed horizontally the butt seams will have more chance of cracking since there is less rigidity with the increased spacing .... unless you install horizontal blocking.

Otherwise you could use 19.2 inch spacing .... the black diamond marking on a good tape measure .... which gives 5 spacings into an 8 foot run .... which will help the seams if the drywall is laid horizontal.

Just 2 cents.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

don't use 24 inch spacing of the walls or the ceiling. It makes for a poor drywall job and a weaker framing. but if you do use 24 inch spacing use a anti-sag ceiling board. on the ceiling and not 5/8. trust me you don't want to lift 5/8 over head if you don't have to.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use 1/2" drywall on 24" OC. ceilings will sag and if you weigh over 180 lbs and lean on the wall....u will go thro.....

and i am a huge USG fan and cannot believe they would say that.....hopefully u misread or they misprinted....

and second of all....someone said buttjoints.....NEVER NEVER NEVER attach buttjoints to the framing, is this 1965?? during expansion, contraction and house settling they will crack 7 outta 10 times. For more information on "FLOATING DRYWALL" see my website, be with us were still under construction.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res10mi80/...reresourcesinc

Quote Originally Posted by premiere View Post
    NEVER NEVER NEVER use 1/2" drywall on 24" OC. ceilings will sag and if you weigh over 180 lbs and lean on the wall....u will go thro.....

and i am a huge USG fan and cannot believe they would say that.....hopefully u misread or they misprinted....

and second of all....someone said buttjoints.....NEVER NEVER NEVER attach buttjoints to the framing, is this 1965?? during expansion, contraction and house settling they will crack 7 outta 10 times. For more information on "FLOATING DRYWALL" see my website, be with us were still under construction.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res10mi80/...reresourcesinc

I have over 25 years in the drywall trades and 1/2 inch sag resistant drywall is very common in residential use. and actually will sag less then 5/8

http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resou...ling_Board.htm

and butt joints are not only still broke on studs but also required especially where a fire rating is required.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I have over 25 years in the drywall trades and 1/2 inch sag resistant drywall is very common in residential use. and actually will sag less then 5/8

http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resou...ling_Board.htm

and butt joints are not only still broke on studs but also required especially where a fire rating is required.
    where do you get your stats? 7 out of 10? only if incorrectly screwed off. if you are having that kind of problem I would stand there and watch your hangers because they either are leaving to big a gap and are missing most of the stud with the second sheet or aren't screwing it at reccomended spacing . adhesive is good but it still needs to be held in place till it dries. and drywall adhesive doesn't allow any more shifiting then screws. and if it did all the joints would be cracking because the mud wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by premiere View Post

and second of all....someone said buttjoints.....NEVER NEVER NEVER attach buttjoints to the framing, is this 1965?? during expansion, contraction and house settling they will crack 7 outta 10 times.
    I would have to disagree with that .
    Perhaps I'm missing something .... all those walls out there with drywall and no cracks at the butt joints that are attached to framing.
    Last edited by canuk; 09-28-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I would have to disagree with that .
    Perhaps I'm missing something .... all those walls out there with drywall and no cracks at the butt joints that are attached to framing.
    I will have to second that. I see plenty of horizontal seams that pop due to settling, but rarely have I seen a vertical seam pop. If a seam cracks, more often than not it's because of movement in the structure OR a bad hanging/taping job. Sometimes it tough to tell which is which, sometimes not, just depends on the situation and the structure.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!