+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gfci bad?

Default gfci bad?

Hi, my bathroom and bed room are linked to a gfci in the elec panel.For no reason,nothing is on or plugged in,it tripped and I cannot reset it?Can the breaker just fail.?how can I test it??thanks

Default Re: gfci bad?

Disconnect the wires from the breaker and see if it will reset. If it does you probably have wiring problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Disconnect the wires from the breaker and see if it will reset. If it does you probably have wiring problem.
    Jack
    Or an outlet somewhere on the circuit that has a fault. Since GFCI protection is only needed on outlets that are near water sources, check the kitchen, bathrooms, and exterior of the home for any other outlets that are on this circuit that could be at fault.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It is possible the GFCI in question has failed. China has flooded the market with "Builders Series" generic devices the last two years or so. And they are crap.
    When USA manufacturers moved to Mexico after NAFTA, the same thing happened with their products. But to the credit of those manufacturers, the product line did rebound with a better, more reliable device. Something you have yet to see from China...

Breakers fail. Some more than others What brand panel do you have?

The GFI won't reset if it does not have power to it. Check the breakers and check the other bathrooms for GFI's. Sometimes people accidentally wire multiple GFI's in series on one circuit. Also, we sure whatever caused it to trip is unplugged (duh...I know).