+ Reply to Thread

Default cleaning fireplace mantle

Hi,

We've got a 1950s Cape Cod style home, with that gray skinny long stone used to build the fireplace. I guess the face of the stone is about 3 inches by 24 inches, and I have typically seen them used in ranch homes for fireplaces, dividing walls, and even as exterior accents on brick wall corners, or as planters.

Anyway, somewhere along the line someone drew on the top of the stone mantle, I guess with crayon. The color has been removed, but we can still see the writing very clearly.

Is there a 'right' way to clean this stone?

Default Re: cleaning fireplace mantle

I have heard that scraping it off can work. Use a metal or rubber spatula or glass sc****r. Wipe with dishwashing liquid and sponge. Rinse. Wipe dry. I haven't ever tried it myself but my friends have done so successfully. Good luck.

Default Re: cleaning fireplace mantle

In order to ensure safe efficient use of your fireplace, it will need regular care and cleaning. Creosote, a flammable tar like substance, accumulates in the chimney and flue and can be hazardous if it is not removed. Give your fireplace and its accessories routine cleaning throughout the wood-burning season to eliminate an accumulation of soot, ashes, and creosote tars.