+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Installation of ceramic tile - plumbing for radiator no longer fits

I had pipes breaks in the 3rd floor bath and had to remove vinyl flooring and subfloor to replace damaged pipes. The contractor then installed ceramic tile, which raised the level of the floor. He did not take into account that the higher floor would affect the re-connection of the radiator. The heating lines coming out of the floor are now too short to connect to the radiator. I have terminated my contractor (he also flooded the 3rd floor 3 times while working on this project) I had another plumber come in to give me an estimate to reconnect the radiator and re-install the tub, sink and toilet. His solution is to tear up the tile floor, or go to the 2nd floor and break though the ceiling to lengthen the supply lines for the radiator. I do not wish to do either. Any suggestions? Is there some way to lengthen the pipes as they are without tearing in to the ceiling or floor?

Default Re: Installation of ceramic tile - plumbing for radiator no longer fits

Quote Originally Posted by gail robinson View Post
    I had pipes breaks in the 3rd floor bath and had to remove vinyl flooring and subfloor to replace damaged pipes. The contractor then installed ceramic tile, which raised the level of the floor. He did not take into account that the higher floor would affect the re-connection of the radiator. The heating lines coming out of the floor are now too short to connect to the radiator. I have terminated my contractor (he also flooded the 3rd floor 3 times while working on this project) I had another plumber come in to give me an estimate to reconnect the radiator and re-install the tub, sink and toilet. His solution is to tear up the tile floor, or go to the 2nd floor and break though the ceiling to lengthen the supply lines for the radiator. I do not wish to do either. Any suggestions? Is there some way to lengthen the pipes as they are without tearing in to the ceiling or floor?

How short is the pipe?

Sometimes, you can get adapters, connectors, or union fittings to make it work.

Maybe few pictures can give us better idea.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Default Re: Installation of ceramic tile - plumbing for radiator no longer fits

if the radiator is on legs they can be cut,it takes a little work,if you measure from the floor to the center of the valve coming out of the floor then measure from the floor to the center of the radiator fitting the
    difference is how much you need to cut from the legs

for example if from the floor to center of valve is 2" and from the floor to the center of the radiator fittng is 2.5".you need to remove .5"...etc