+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What's the appropriate primer/sealer for new plaster walls?

The best reason for not over using Kilz is to save your own brain cells! Jeez, that stuff stinks and will give you a real buzz if you breath it for any amount of time. A terminal case of high VOC's!

In most instances where a non-water soluble primer/sealer is needed, I prefer BIN. I prefer a good old fashioned alcohol buzz anytime!

I fully understand that the alcohol in shellac is different than the alcohol sold in liquor stores, but I can't resist this opportunity to state my belief that alcohol should be banned in both our two countries, radical though that sounds.

I make my own beer and wine, and have done for well over 20 years. But, I only drink heavily and get plastered while posting on DIY Q&A forums where it doesn't matter what you say to who anyhow.

Truth is, what most people don't understand is that the very first effect that alcohol has on a person is that it destroys their sense of judgement. Long before a person is slurring their words or staggering, their sense of judgement is so impaired that they'll say and do things they would otherwise think twice about. And, the wrong thing said in front of your boss, or the wrong gesture made toward your wife's best friend, or the hand stand you figured you could do on the bridge railing or high speed maneuver you saw in that movie and presumed you could do equally well in your car, all those things can wreck careers and end lives. Or even just the harmless closed fisted smack you give a loved one who's complaining about your drinking...

Just watch any of those episodes of COPS on TV. Dam near every person that's sitting in cuffs in the back of a police car is drunk and did something stupid as a result. If it weren't for monkeys like this, we wouldn't need as many police.

Seriously, when I was younger, one of my friends got drunk and lost a bet that he could swim across the Red River in November. Well, at that time the water is darn cold and the Red River is a good 300 yards wide, if not more. He got a little way into the river, not even 1/5 of the way across and simply lost all his strength so that he couldn't even make it back. He drown in water that wasn't even very deep cuz there was no strength left in his legs to walk or arms to swim. I wasn't there. I just heard all about it from my other friends. But, I figure, if he did that, then maybe it was just a matter of time before he killed himself some other way. He mighta made a drunken bet that he could jump out of the way of a speeding car or some other stupid stunt.

Alcohol is legal so many people use it, but very many don't have the good sense to realize they shouldn't be using it. And, it's the wives, mothers and children that end up suffering. Dad's intoxicated so we won't be going to the fair after all cuz he drank his pay cheque. Instead, mom's gonna take us to the park and the public library, again.

Both our countries would be better off without alcohol.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-31-2011 at 02:38 PM.

If you use Lime Paint (from Virginia Lime works, others) you needn't wait at all to paint new plaster; nor is it necessary to use a separate primer. And it is a completely green product, possibly zero-voc, but I didn't check that. I have used it and there is a lot to recommend it. It gives a more home-spun organic look. It is very flat in finish. By dappling a second color, some very nice effects are possible, almost like a faux finish.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I Googled:

"Lime Paint" Virginia Lime Works

and found the product, but I couldn't find an MSDS sheet for it so I can't tell what's in it.

However, I did come up with this recipe for "Lime Paint", and it says that it's basically a mixture of hydrated lime and coloured pigments:

http://rs79.vrx.net/interests/house/...es/lime/paint/

("hydraulic lime" is lime that's made with certain clays which give it the ability to cure despite being in contact with water)

The lime in this paint gradually reacts with the CO2 in the air to form limestone, and the result would be that the paint gets both harder and less alkaline with time. All hydrated lime does that.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-31-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

The MSDS for their Patriot Lime Paint simply says it contains hydrated lime.

I guess that's why you can use it over lime plaster right away; the paint is as just as highly alkaline as the plaster is.

You may want to check out the KEIM Silicate Paints.

That does it, Nestor and I are joining the Women's Christian Temperance Union!