+ Reply to Thread

Talking Partial Replacement of Hardwood Floors.

I have recently purchased a 1912 California Bungalow. The living room and dining room are open to each other. Unfortunately the previous owner decided the best way to get under the house was through the living room's red oak floor. So I have one corner of the living room with built up plywood.

I don't want to feather in the new wood, so I was going to rip up existing flooring to the opposite wall. Should I mix in new and old? or should i just replace everything with new? I dont want to have a patchy look and maybe a quick transition is better? Has anyone had experience working with reclaimed flooring? Pros cons?

Thanks!

Default Re: Partial Replacement of Hardwood Floors.

Do you have an area that you could take hardwood from and weave into the damaged area? A closet perhaps? Or maybe an entryway that you could then tile? Weaving in the hardwood is not hard for a pro to do and the finish of the flooring would probably match better than getting new.

bp21901's solution would be the best for a couple or reasons. 1] It is more likely you would be able to match the patina of the wood. 2] If it is a 1912 floor, the size of the boards would be different than what is available today unless you go to a custom shop. 3] It would be far less work and money than pulling up a whole section and trying to match the size and color.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the help. The only other rooms to grab extra flooring from would by the bedrooms. So probably wont be doing that. I will see about the kitchen floors but I can't go in and do that till we close on the house Friday!

I'm wondering if the wood floors are that old they may be diificult to lift up without wrecking them. How about tearing up the wood in the living room and putting down new with a transition strip between the living room and dining area.
    We did this in our previous home. The new floors butted up to a piece that was placed running in the opposite direction as an accent or transition piece which took away the appearance the two floors were different.