+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trim nails

Default Trim nails

Is Oak PLywood considered a hard wood and if so do I need to use the nails (black trim nails for hard wood) when nailing the Oak Plywood to 2x 4 studs?

Default Re: Trim nails

Oak is considered a hardwood, however, plywood isn't in the same category as dimensional lumber. All wood core plywood is made up of individual layers that are set at 90 degrees of each other. Specialty plywoods, such as the oak that you're referring to will be a softwood or MDF core, with only a thin veneer of "finish" oak on it. Wood core plywood will not require any special nails or nailing method. MDF core tends to be a tad harder so that a heavier gauge nail must be used to resist bending as you drive it through (unless using pneumatic fasteners), or the nail holes predrilled (more on that if necessary ).

Now the million dollar question, why are you nailing oak plywood directly to studs?

I am remodeling basement and the previous owner har the studs for a small inside cabinet. 46" long, 13 " deep and 16 " high. So with the veneer oak It is easy to fill in . stain it and make it a nice inner cabinet (no front) to put TV, DVD etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gnchang View Post
    I am remodeling basement and the previous owner har the studs for a small inside cabinet. 46" long, 13 " deep and 16 " high. So with the veneer oak It is easy to fill in . stain it and make it a nice inner cabinet (no front) to put TV, DVD etc.
    Sounds like a plan to me. The best filler I've found is Dap Wood Dough.

I like the "natural" color because it closely matches lighter woods and accepts stain just like the wood, so that the holes look more like a small knot than a filled nail. This is an acetone based product so it dries quickly. The best way to work with it is to put a small dab in the palm of your hand, then with a putty knife apply it quickly and cleanly to each hole, getting more putty as necessary. Force the putty into the hole so that you leave a clean surface on the wood, but the putty over the nail head bubbles up a little bit. This is perfect, as you'll be sanding the filler flush and cleaning up any excess around the hole to boot.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to report back and tell us how it went.