+ Reply to Thread

Default Oak floor over pine?

Hello All,
    I recently purchased a 1927 Colonial in Long Island, NY. The first floor has pine (original to the house) layed over a tongue in groove subfloor, running the SAME direction as the subfloor boards (?). The pine is in good shape, as is the rest of the house. What I would like to do is lay oak over the pine running the opposite way (90 degrees) using the the existing pine like a second subfloor, for strenth and stability. Anybody ever do this?

Thanks

Default Re: Oak floor over pine?

Never done it but there are a couple of things to think about before you do. Make sure the old floor is nailed down really well. Nothing's worse than a squeeky floor and if you cover up the squeeky boards with the new flooring, you'll have a problem getting it silenced.

Normally flooring is laid the long way, from the front door to the back of the house. If you run the new stuff 90 degrees to it, how will it look. You might lay a few pieces of the new flooring down loose to get a feel for how it will look before you get it all nailed down and don't like it's look.

You could always pull up the pine and if you do it carefully enough, you may be able to sell it. Some people want the old stuff of that vintage and may be remodeling an old home and need more of it. Could offset your costs of the new floor.

If you put the new floor on top of the old one, you're raising the level of the floors. You might have to adjust the bottoms of doors and then there is the molding/casing around the doors that you have to address. A floor saw should be in your toolbox for that.

Good Luck.

Ma2804 makes some good points you need to keep in mind. Trimming the interior doors wouldn't be to big of an issue or at least shouldn't be. The exterior doors however will likely be another issue. You may need to remove the doors and raise them up to make clearance for the flooring. This of course would likely mean reworking the opening especially the header to be able to raise the door.

Also if you have a set of stairs this is now going to make the first step shorter than the rest which can be a trip hazard. If the pine floors are original to the house and you really don't want them I would agree that taking them up carefully and selling them is a good option. You could possibly pay for most of your new floor that way.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I hadn't thought about how it would raise the level of the floor. Doors won't be a problem, but it may affect the bottom step of my stairway.

Think I will lay the oak over the pine though, too much time and effort to tear it up. Still wondering why the pine is layed in the same direction as the tongue and groove subfloor- against the long axis of the room. I'll lay the oak in line with the length of the room, 90 deg. to the pine, just don't want to create problems with expansion/contraction. Mullican is one brand I'm thinking of going with.

why do you want to cover the pine?

It looks nice, but my experience with pine is it's not very rugged. It was under carpet for years so it's in good shape, but I've already dropped a few tools on it and left some dents. I need a hard surface that will hold up well.

Also there's already oak on the second floor, part of which someone covered with linoleum (!)
    Last edited by sjbpiper; 03-01-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Here's my experience. When you first install pine, it looks great with no dents, etc. Then the first dents start coming and you cringe. After many dents, etc., the flooring starts to look good again..if you know what I mean. Of course you have to like that look.

I'm actually installing fir in my kitchen as I type..well not exactly as I type, but you get the point

I know it will ding up, etc., but with a special walnut stain and satin finish, the floor will "age" nicely.