+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ceiling Fan Hoist or Lift System

I have been in the ceiling fan business for over 20 years now and have been asked many times if there is a downrod for ceiling fans that can be extended and retracted, thus allowing the fan to drop down for cleaning or changing of light bulbs. Because there is no such thing, I always have to answer the question with a no.

Today I was answering that question once again, when it came to me that lifts do exist for chandeliers. So my question to this forum is, has anybody ever heard of a chandelier lift that has been modified to work with ceiling fans?

Greg Tillotson:
    http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Hoist or Lift System

Fortunes have been made by people who find a need for something useful that is not on the market.

it would be a code violation, fans need to permanatly attached

It's been a while since I've installed a down rod on a fan, but I seem to remember the ball / socket of the downrod NOT being permanently attached. Am I remembering it incorrectly?

isn't there a safety cable that runs from the fan, through the down rod, to the ball joint, which is 'permantly' mounted to a fan rated electrical box?

I am sure there wasn't a safety cable. The socket had a "key" formed on it that fit into a notch on the ball, that I remember for sure. What I can't remember is whether or not the ball was also screwed to the socket (I didn't think so). I think you could just lift the ball out of the socket.

I've never seen one but maybe they exist. It seems like keeping the fan from wobbling would be an issue with those lifts. Several companies make them for chandeliers.

Hi Guys

There is a product that can do this please email me for full catalogue,

Kindest regards

Karl,

Quote Originally Posted by CeilingFans View Post
    I have been in the ceiling fan business for over 20 years now and have been asked many times if there is a downrod for ceiling fans that can be extended and retracted, thus allowing the fan to drop down for cleaning or changing of light bulbs. Because there is no such thing, I always have to answer the question with a no.

Today I was answering that question once again, when it came to me that lifts do exist for chandeliers. So my question to this forum is, has anybody ever heard of a chandelier lift that has been modified to work with ceiling fans?

Greg Tillotson:
    http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/
    Greg, I'm sure over the past 20 years looking for a retractable downrod and not finding one you have wondered why not?

It should be simple enough to fit a small piece of pipe into a larger one and have it held in-place by a removable pin, so it can be lowered, for maintenance.

You could make one yourself but, like every lamp, fan or other piece of electrical equipment it would require a label from UL or equal to be sold. This approval is very expensive and because the demand for the product that alone may be why no one makes one.

Technical reasons like vibration, balance, possibility of shorted wiring, liability, etc. are reasons as well.

Folks have devised extension poles with brushes for cleaning and with the advent of long lasting light bulbs the consumer demand may be reduced even further. If such a lamp is run at reduced brillance with a dimmer, service life of the lamps may easily run well beyond five years.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

High end lighting suppliers offer an annual contract where they will come to your home, clean the fixture and replace the bulbs. It isn't cheap, but well worth the effort considering the value of the fixtures