+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding Attic insulation in Cape Style House

I have a Cape house built in the mid 60's. The insulation from other parts of the house is Fiberglass but not nearly as thick as R-13. I would guess around R-10 maybe? I cut a small hole in the attic/ceiling and its the same insulation. I have no access to the attic/ceiling but was thinking of cutting a hole to fit through to add insulation throughout the attic. Looking from the outside I only have about 2.5 feet between the top of the window to the peak of the roof. I dont think this would be enough space to insulate. Not to mention the dormered roof I would not be able to get the entire width. I have only gable vents and live in Boston MA where the recommended R value in the attic is R-49.

How do I insulate the attic? Do I need to redo the second floor?

Default Re: Adding Attic insulation in Cape Style House

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

live in Boston MA where the recommended R value in the attic is R-49.

If you have the sloped ceilings and the knee walls this type of configuration does make it challenging for insulating.

You can increase the amount of insulation to the "attic" portion from the flat area that exists under the peak as well behind the knee walls quite readily .... albeit you would need an access .... it's the sloped portion that's the weak link.

You might increase the insulation value to R 49 in the attic with blown in cellulose or fiberglass batts .....but the majority of the ceiling space .... which is the sloped sections ....... will only be maybe R10.

Without tearing out the ceilings you could apply sheets of rigid foam insulation across the surface of the ceilings and cover with drywall.

This is where closed cell spray foam definitely helps .... but you would likely need to remove the existing drywall to do that.

You might contact an insulation contractor for some ideas for your situation.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by dlebla View Post
    I have a Cape house built in the mid 60's. The insulation from other parts of the house is Fiberglass but not nearly as thick as R-13. I would guess around R-10 maybe? I cut a small hole in the attic/ceiling and its the same insulation. I have no access to the attic/ceiling but was thinking of cutting a hole to fit through to add insulation throughout the attic. Looking from the outside I only have about 2.5 feet between the top of the window to the peak of the roof. I dont think this would be enough space to insulate. Not to mention the dormered roof I would not be able to get the entire width. I have only gable vents and live in Boston MA where the recommended R value in the attic is R-49.

Please call Michael Wilson
    Owner of
    MJW DryWall & foam Insulation LLC
    Hampton NH
    Office 603-601-6283
    Cell 603-289-2124

Helping you Build Safer, Healthier, More Efficient Home's & Building's of Tomorrow, Today. We are Green Building!!
    For more information about us and are products & Service's please check out our web site's.
    WWW.NHFOAM.COM
    they can help you with injection foam