+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom Exhaust Fan/Light electrical hook-up

I am remodeling my bathroom with new ceiling exhaust fan/light combo. I am having trouble hooking it up. I have 2 lines coming, one is a 3 wire and the other is a 4 wire with red wire for switching purpose on fan. I have a double switch on the wall to control both the light and fan indepently. I have hook up the white wires together and the green wires together. I hook up one black wire to the red wire for exhaust fan and then I hook up the other 3 black wires together, but when I hit the circuit breaker pops, I have tried other ways to no avial, can anyone help with suggestions.
    Thank you,
    Robert

Default Re: Bathroom Exhaust Fan/Light electrical hook-up

Does the power from the breaker come in the fixture box where the light goes?

In other words ... do you have a cable that only has a black and white wire and the black is live with the breaker on?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

No it doesn't. My bedrooms and hall light is on one circuit which feeds the power to switch on the wall through the ceiling fan. I will follow it with a drawing of how it seems to go. I know it is hard to explain. Thank you for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bathroom ceiling fan wiring.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	1566  
    Last edited by thunderjet; 09-02-2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added drawing

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post
    No it doesn't. My bedrooms and hall light is on one circuit which feeds the power to switch on the wall through the ceiling fan. I will follow it with a drawing of how it seems to go. I know it is hard to explain. Thank you for your help.
    This is something that needs to be confirmed ..... does the power feed come from the light fixture box then onto the switch and back to the light ?

Is this existing wiring or did you add the wiring?
    - Rush

It is existing wiring. the power to the switch comes from the hall light through the ceiling fan and then to the switch. Also it powers the vanity light with another switch to operate this light. The house was built in 1962 and has not been changed that I know of. It had a old ceiling fan/heat lamp combo before. I don't know if this helps. I also sent a drawing in the last thread reply. Thanks again for help.

Perhaps it's just me but I'm having some trouble trying to read your diagram.

Here's the thing .... you need a constant hot feed ( from the breaker ) that has to go to the switches.
    From the switches you will need one hot wire from one switch going to the light.
    Another hot wire from the other switch will go to the fan.

So .... the cable that has a black wire .... a white wire and a ground .... where is it and where does it come from or go to?

The other cable ... one black .... one red .... one white ... a ground .... where is it and where does it come from or go to ?
    - Rush

To answer your questions. The one line with three wires seems to be the power feed that is tied with the bedroom lights and hall light. The 4 wire is coming from the switch on the wall and both wires come together into the ceiling exhaust fan box. Does this help, that is how I describe it on my drawing. Thanks again.

I tried looking at your diagram and still can't make out what's what.

I have an idea what you did wrong ... just need some confirmation on the wire placements.

Perhaps you can load pictures of the wiring at the switches and at the box.
    It would be helpful to know what color wires are hooked up to the switches.

Another question .... this is a combination fan and light .... do you want to control them separately ?
    You also mentioned a vanity light is this also going to be wired in?
    - Rush